The Arrival

×

"Ms. Brown?"

I look up at the man, bald head, round glasses. He watches me carefully but not in a caring way, a professional way.

"Are you stoned?" he asks.

I focus back into reality, realizing I'm in a room filled with head shrinking books and bright windows. I look down at the burning cigarette that lays in between my fingers. The ash, stacking up higher and higher as I leave it burning.

"Smoke pot? Take LSD?" he asks, as I turn to the table next to me, discarding the mass amount of ash. I shake my head and blink hard when the light from outside hits my eyes.

"No drugs?" he asks. I shake my head again.

I sit back in the red lounge chair, not meeting his gaze.

"How do you feel right now?"

"I... don't know" I manage to say.

"I don't know what I'm feeling" I add.

His adjusts in his chair, taking his glasses off and hooking them over his shirt pocket.

"You need a rest" he says.

"Yeah... I'll go home and take a nap-"

"No no. You need to go somewhere where you can get a genuine rest."

I look up and blink my eyes at him in confusion.

"You're very lucky. The best place in the world for someone like you is less than a half an hour away from here."

The clouds that occupy my head suddenly clear at the realization of what he's getting too.

"You don't mean Claymore?" I question.

He leans forward, the leather chair he sits in makes a noise as he bends over, looking at me frailly. The older man's expression turns very serious as he prepares his next words.

"Millie, four days ago, you chased a bottle of aspirin with a bottle of vodka."

I stutter at vivid but somehow still shaky memory.

"I- I had a head ache."

He shakes his head at my words.

"Millie, your father is a friend of mine. He asked me to see you, even though I don't do this anymore."

I look down as he continues.

"You're hurting everyone around you. Claymore is a... it's a great place. You'll get the help you need there."

He then gets up and walks over to his desk, picking up the rotary dial and puts a number in.

"Yes, a cab at..."

His words become muted with my own, overpowering thoughts. Moments later though, I'm brought back to the therapist's office as he nudges my arm.