The Sad Girl

×

"Tell me something nice."

His words laced with exhaustion, his breaths heavy as they whisper against my cheek. I turn my face towards him, my eyes meeting his barely opened ones. Not only do I see his mysterious, deep eyes glisten in the darkness but I'm able to see more than just the dark brown iris. It's like more colors are apparent, but also not. Dancing around, sparks of fire flashing in his eyes.

I rest my cheek against my pillow, my body laying flat against the sheet covered mattress. Him, laying on his shoulder, on hand underneath him and one hand laying in-between the two of us. I feel the urge to reach out, lace our fingers and spark the flame to a moment full of heated kisses. But I resist, I reposition myself, taking my lip in between my teeth before I furrow my eyebrows.

"What does that mean?" I ask, finally taking in his words he spoke moments earlier. He closes one eye, the other one slightly squinted as a smile appears on his lips. "I want you to tell me something...nice," he repeats. I'm dumbfounded, trying to figure out what exactly that means, to tell him something "nice."

"Um...I like your eyes?" I say questioningly. He lets out a chuckle, scoffing playfully in the mix. "You're not very good at this are you?" he asks, his tone soft but the words harsh. I don't really know what he means and I sure don't want to disappoint him which makes me slightly insecure.

My shoulders tense, my smile drops, my arm moves closer towards me as I cower. He notices, offering another smile to reassure me. "Just kidding," he says, readjusting his position. As he does, the neck of his T-shirt lowers, giving me a glimpse at a tattoo i've wondered about for some time now.

"What's the tattoo?" I question with a raise of an eyebrow. He looks confused for a moment, then a wave of realization appears over him. "My tattoo..." he starts with a sigh. He turns his head away from me, only to shoot his eyes back at me as he smiles.

"It's my dads name," he admits. My face softens, still wondering more about the tattoo but now at least knowing what it is. My cheeks raise, my smile widening as I speak up. "Can I see it?" I ask. He raises both his eyebrows, taking my question the wrong way.

"Are you asking me to undress?" he queries, gasping dramatically. My face lowers, cringing at myself internally as I close my eyes tightly. "No, I just wanted to-" I'm cut off by him sitting up. He moves up fast, lifting his hands over his head as he grabs to neck of his shirt.

I watch him, slightly uncomfortable and feeling the need to look away but knowing him; he doesn't care. Finn pulls his yellow t-shirt over his head, his hair becoming more of a mess as he removes it. Throwing it over his shoulder, he looks up at me, raising an eyebrow.

"See-" he starts. He turns, twisting around so I can get a view of the black inked wording across the upper part of his back. "Eric," I mumble, reading the name that's printed across in curved lettering.

I sit up myself, rolling up from the position on my back to stand on my knees. He stays with his back facing me, his eyes traveling across my arm that reaches out to touch him. My thin fingers trailing a cold touch across his warm, inked skin. I begin notice something, something that I've never seen.

"Did...did something happen? To your dad," I add. I tilt my head, almost over his shoulder to get a look at his face. He now bites his lip, his eyes squinted with a long frown on his full lips. "Yeah," he breathes out.