The Car Ride

×

There's something intoxicatingly about freedom. Something that sends chills down my spine, releases butterflies into my stomach. Something that gives me the feeling of a thousand kisses, the feeling of walking out of a dungeon that I have been locked up in for months.

Finn, acts more casual about it. Closing the door fast, moving fast and looking around with worry. Maybe I should be that alert too, cautious of my surroundings. Finn looks like he's ready to pounce at any given moment, ready to bolt at any sign of trouble.

We walk through the courtyard, me saying my goodbyes to each dead, ice covered flower. My hand getting pulled by Finns which is linked firmly with mine, my eyes wandering as he drags me. No doubt in my mind that he's getting annoyed.

But he acts patient, letting me look around as he leads me out of the courtyard and near the road that leads to the highway. Before we step off of the property, he freezes, turning towards me.

"We start running," he says with wide eyes. I can tell he's nervous, his wandering glare and dampness to his skin that gleams in the lack of light. I nod, "okay."

I brace myself, ready to start pacing fast off of the Claymore property for good. But when I think Finn going to turn around, start running first and signaling for me to follow, he moves forward instead.

His face leaning into mine, our cold lips locking and falling into place with each other's. The deep touch creating the warmth between us that was so desperately needed. I pull away first, releasing my lips slowly from his, letting our touch linger.

We keep close for a moment, enjoying the sudden rise in temperature and company of each other. A feeling filling up inside of me that completely demolishes any thought of turning back. The idea of obtaining freedom with him, is truly insane.

But I like insane.

Finns eyes flutter open, me reacting the same way. Somehow the two of us almost forget where we are standing, in an open range for anyone to catch us.

"You better be as good of a runner as you are a kisser," he breathes out. In return I smile, but not fast enough before he turns around fast, starting towards the street.

I let out a low giggle before moving quickly, pacing behind him to keep up as he begins to sprint down the road. Trees begin to surround us, the little light from a singular lamp pole in the courtyard now disappearing.

It becomes darker, somehow colder and my nerves only come in stronger. But I do as I'm told. I try my hardest to keep up with Finn, succeeding but finding myself in need of a rest very quickly.

The hard surface underneath my feet, each step crashing and pushing off of the road in a now not so steady pace.

After awhile, my legs begin to ache. I find myself slowing down only to see that something catches Finns eye.

He stops, quickly looking back at me, my chest heaving and breaths heavy.

"Highway," he breaths out. I turn my head towards him, raising an eyebrow as I bend over in exhaustion.

Finn takes a few steps closer towards me, gesturing for me to stand up straight. I comply, our eyes locking as he speaks up. "Listen," he whispers, reaching his arm out. He presses his hand against my face, his cold fingers touching my flushed skin.