The Pills

×

"You said you needed this?"
I turn quickly, causing some water to splash out of the tub.

It's the small nurse, Natalia I think.

She hands me a metal razor which I had requested minutes ago. I accept it, keeping my arms tightly around my bare knees to cover myself.

I watch her for a moment as she goes back and sits down in the chair that stands in front of the bath tub.

I raise an eyebrow.

"Do you really have to watch me?" I ask.

She nods her head, moving her mouth down "I'm afraid so" she says.

I nod again, feeling slightly more comfortable. I sit up more, running my hand through my sopping hair before bringing it down to my left leg and holding the razor tightly.

I close my eyes.

"Has anyone ever watched you shave your legs?" I ask.

Natalia laughs a little before replying. "I've never been in a mental hospital sweetie."

My eyes open but I don't laugh with her. Instead I glare at her sadly and her smile drops.

"Look, I'm a girl too and just get this over with okay? You'll get used to it I promise but I have to watch you" she says, sympathetically.

I nod, still not feeling better about all this.

-

After my bath and the embarrassment of having to have someone watch me, I make my way to the day room. My hair is still wet and my clothes are damp too, causing me to shiver because it's been colder recently. I guess that means winter is coming.

"Oh there you are" I hear from behind.

I turn around as Sadie comes walking up to me from my room.

"What were you doing in there?" I ask.

She stands in front of me and smiles.

"Waiting for you silly. Come on, I wanna play cards but no one else does" she says, grabbing my hand and pulling me towards a blue table with matching chairs.

I get to a chair, across from the one Sadie chooses and sit down, leaning forward.

"What game are we-"

"What game are we playing?" I hear someone, using a small voice, copying me from behind.

I turn around to see Finn, laying across a couch with a finger puppet of a blue cat or something.

I furrow my eyebrows and smile as he wags the arms of the fabric animal.

"What are you doing?" I ask.

"What are you doing?" he copies, in the same high pitch voice as before. 

He turns the puppet towards his face and stares at it with wide eyes.