4

Miles arrived at home at the same time as Claire and when they entered the elevator, he asked: "Do you know what this is about?"

She shook her head: "No idea. How did your first day at High School go?"

Miles rolled his eyes and she smiled widely: "You look cute in your uniform!"

"Shut up", Miles muttered and they left the elevator.

Mom opened the front door to the penthouse and smiled at them.

"Finally!", Dad shouted from the living room and they sat down on the sofas.

Logan and Sammy were already sitting there and now all of them looked at Dad expectantly.

Dad started explaining: "Logan has helped arresting a vampire today."

Claire rolled her eyes and whispered to Miles: "It's always Daddy's favourite."

"I secretly injected the vampire toxin, so that he couldn't fight the other policemen anymore and they could arrest him. He's now at the police station, but the toxin won't last for much longer, we should kill him as soon as possible", Logan continued and Dad nodded: "Exactly. And all of you will come with me."

That was, everyone except for Mom.

"But why all of us? It's just one vampire and he's already weak", Miles questioned, but Dad shook his head: "We can't just walk into the police station and kill one of their prisoners. Furthermore, you'll gain experience."

He was probably talking about Sammy, who hadn't really been involved in any vampire fights by now.

"So, this is the plan", Dad said loudly. "Claire and Sammy, you'll distract the policemen at the front, Logan will lead me to the vampire and Miles, you'll make sure there won't be any interruptions."

"Is it really necessary that Sammy is going, too?", Mom asked and she seemed worried.

"Yes. He needs practice", Dad said determinedly. "And it's not dangerous."

"It can get dangerous very quickly ...", Miles interrupted. "What if more vampires come to help him or if he manages to escape?"

"We would never let him escape!", Logan told him.

"Hey!", Claire pouted. "I don't want to miss all the fun. I want to kill the vampire!"

Logan rolled his eyes: "But the policemen will pay more attention to  a helpless girl."

"I am not helpless!", Claire hissed and kicked her brother.

"Outch!?"

"Stop it!", Dad ordered and they became silent. "Claire, of course you're not helpless, we all know that. But the policemen don't."

Claire made a face and crossed her arms, until Miles added: "You're the best actress here after all, so you're the only one who can do that job."

She seemed to be satisfied with that.

Mom hugged Sammy and seemed unsure about the plan, but Dad already stood up: "We should really leave now. And Sammy is coming!"

Mom scowled, but did not object and let go of Sammy.

Dad and the siblings went to the training room to get weapons and Miles turned to his mother again: "Don't worry, we'll look after Sammy."

She nodded and smiled sadly, then the family left the penthouse and drove to the police station.

In front of the entrance, Logan put the hand cuffs on Dad and then led him inside.

"Hey, need any help?", one of his colleagues offered, but Logan shook his head: "No, thank's. I'm fine."

Despite that, the policeman was coming over, but at that moment Claire and Sammy stormed through the door.

"Help!!!", Claire screamed hysterically and the man immediately ran up to her: "What happened?"

"Th-there was a man, he robbed us and he took our dog!", she told him, sounding very desperate, and then added: "His name is Logan. He's a chihuahua."

Logan gave her an annoyed look, but the just winked and smiled when the policeman was not looking.

Miles carefully walked past them and followed Logan and his Dad to the cells in the basement.

"Who's that?", a female officer who was coming towards them asked.

"He's just been arrested, I'm supposed to bring him down here", Logan lied, but the woman stopped him: "I didn't know about that ... What did he do?"

"Heyyyy", Miles suddenly called and stumbled into the hall, pretending to be drunk. The woman turned to him and grunted: "And who the hell is this?"

Miles grinned and waved at her, then he said some indistinct words and took a framed photo of policemen off the wall and threw it on the floor.

"Oops", he giggled and the woman came towards him: "Hey, stop that right now!"

Miles glanced behing her and saw Logan open the door to the cells and nodding at him, so he turned around and stumbled up the stairs, the woman following him.

He had reached the entrance hall when she caught up and stopped him: "Got you!"

She took out hand cuffs and was about to bring him back downstairs, but he sank to the floor.

She quietly cursed and put her hands on her hips: "Stupid teenagers and their alcohol ..."

One of the policemen that had stood with Claire and Sammy came over to her and asked: "Can I help?"

"Thomas, great!", the woman said. "Take him to the drying-out cell."

Thomas nodded and pulled Miles back up. He took out a stamp and pressed it on Miles wrist, who looked at it, confused. "What's this?!"

"A stamp", Thomas just said.

Great. Now Miles wrist showed that he had been arrested today. Since when did they do that?

Thomas led him down the stairs towards the cells.

Logan and Dad walked past them on the hallway and briefly nodded at Thomas, then they walked upstairs and out of the police station, while Miles was being locked in.

He sat down on the hard wooden bench and waited.

Suddenly he heard a police man shout: "Hey, I need help over here!"

Miles stood up and through the bars he looked in the direction the voice had come from. A few other men hurried over there and after a while Miles heard them say: "He is dead."

"Probably overdosed."