29

Miles was sitting in his history classroom, but the teacher was not here yet. Miles sat at his desk right next to the door, because Scott was sitting at a desk by the windows and this was the seat that was the furthest away from him.

Miles was doodling on his desk, when suddenly a female teacher entered the room, breathing heavily: "Sorry for being late, I'm your substitute teacher today."

She put her bag on her desk and organized her stuff, then she cleared her throat to get the attention of the students: "I have an announcement to make."

The room became quiet and everyone turned to the front, so she began: "You probably all know that soon three months will have passed, since one of your fellow students passed away. Therefore, this weekend there'll be a small commemoration for Sarah. Moreover, the police is still investigating, so if any of you was at that party and hasn't talked to the police yet, I'm hereby asking you to do so. Every information could be helpful."

She was quiet for a while, then she nodded: "Alright, now you can do your homework."

Miles tapped his pencil against the table absently and thought about the party. He still felt guilty, because maybe he could have helped Sarah, had he stayed at the party.

Maybe he would have recognized the vampire ...

Oh shit.

Suddenly, Miles felt sick. He knew a vampire that had been at that party ...

His eyes wandered to Scott and he stared at him.

What if he did it?

Scott noticed his stare and frowned, then his face suddenly went pale and his face froze. Barely noticeable, he shook his head, but Miles already got up and rushed out of the room.

No, no, no! He could not think about this. In his mind, he saw Scott, Scott biting Sarah and then leaving her liveless body on the floor. He saw Scott with red glowing eyes and fangs. Scott as a monster.

He ran down the hall, trying to get away from here as fast as possible. He heard how the classroom door was opened again, Scott was following him. Miles fastened his steps, but suddenly something rushed past him and Scott stood right in front of him.

Miles stopped and stumbled back and Scott asked: "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, I have to go", Miles quickly said, but Scott did not allow that: "Tell me what you're thinking!"

"You...", Miles hesitated, "you were at that party ..."

"You think I did that!?"

Miles just looked at him, without saying a word and Scott suddenly seemed sad: "I already told you that I don't do things like that!"

Miles crossed his arms over his chest and looked away, so Scott added: "I've already tried explaining this to you. Why would I want to hurt Sarah?"

Miles shrugged: "Maybe you wanted her blood or ... you didn't like her?"

"I didn't even know her!"

"But...", Miles muttered, "you saw her when she was talking to me."

Scott stared at him for a while, then he blurted out: "Oh, so you think that I killed her because I was jealous?!"

Miles remained silent and Scott scoffed: "Okay, Miles, I care about you, a lot, but I would never kill innocent people, not even for you!"

Miles looked to the ground and Scott repeated: "I had nothing to do with this! And unfortunetly, I don't know who did it."

Miles still did not say anything, so Scott scoffed again: "I understand ..."

Then he turned around and left.

Only when Miles could not hear Scott's steps anymore, he raised his head and stared into the empty hallway.

Shit.

During lunch, Miles entered the cafeteria and bought some fries, but somehow he had lost his appetite. He looked around for a free table and spotted Larissa, who smiled at him, so he sat down next to her.

"Hi."

"Hey, good to see you!", she smiled widely and he tried to smile, too.

"I have to thank you again, I can't stop it: Thank you for helping me that night!", she said and Miles nodded: "Really, it's not that big of a deal..."

"It is!", Larissa insisted, then she grinned: "And I'm definitely not using dating-websites ever again!"

"That's probably a good idea", Miles chuckled.

Larissa sighed: "I just wanted to finally find someone again, to get over my ex ..."

"Oh, bad break-up?", Miles asked and she shrugged: "I left him because of a stupid arguement and now he's got someone new ... She's really lucky, but I blew my chance."

"You'll find someone better, someone you won't be able to replace you", Miles assured her and she nodded: "Yeah, maybe. I just still regret breaking up over a tiny disagreement. I really wish I'll find someone like him again and then I won't ever let him go."

She sighed and absently put some of Miles' fries in her mouth.

Now Miles eyes found Scott, who was sitting at their usual table, next to Nate.

Would he regret breaking up with him forever, too? He would not exactly call this him-being-a-vampire-thing a tiny disagreement, but maybe one day it would seem unimportant to him.

And at least at that moment, Miles felt terrible. He missed Scott.

He was not sure whether he just missed the person he had believed Scott was, before finding out what he really was, or if he missed Scott the vampire, too. Or if maybe, those weren't two different persons at all ...

He did not know what to believe anymore, he just knew that everything inside of him wanted to go over to Scott.

But he couldn't.