30

Miles sneeked through the living room, trying not to be noticed by Mom and Sammy, whose voices were coming from the kitchen.

His family already was far too worried about him already, which made it even harder for Miles to be alone.

Miles knew that he could not go on like this forever. It was hardly possible to avoid them and their questions all the time. But he just could not tell them about Scott.

When Miles had walked up the stairs, he turned back to the living room again, but nobody was there.

Relieved, he turned back to his bedroom door, when suddenly Logan stood right in front of him.

"We need to talk", he said and Miles groaned: "No ..."

"Miles-", Logan called after him, but Miles had already pushed past him and slammed the door shut behind him.

"Hi, baby brother", Claire was sitting on his bed. "I knew you'd brush Logan off. Now tell me what's going on with you."

"What do you expect me to tell you?", Miles got angry. "Everything's great and you can leave me alone now! You're already controlling every aspect of my life, what else do you want?"

Claire looked at him in surprise, and for once, she was speechless.

"Now get out!", Miles held the door open and Claire slowly left his room. When she was gone, Miles locked the door and sighed. He remembered what Larissa had said and he knew that things between him and Scott could not stay like this.

There was too much that he did not know, he had no idea who Scott really was. He did not know if him being a vampire made any difference.

Scott seemed just like always, only now, whenever Miles closed his eyes, he saw Scott's face with red eyes.

But he had to find out. He could not throw everything away just like that, as long as he was not absolutely sure that Scott was a monster.

If Scott really did not have any feelings and just faked everything, then Miles could get over this. Then, he would not have to think about how he possibly made a huge mistakes and how he and Scott could have been happy together.

Miles had sat in his room quietly for a while now, listening to all his siblings and his parents going to bed.

Twenty minutes ago, Logan had been the last one to go to bed, so by now it should be safe to go out.

Carefully, Miles opened his bedroom door and sneeked through the hallway. He stopped, to check if there were any noises coming from his sibling's bedrooms, but it was quiet.

So, he went downstairs, grabbed his jacket and left the penthouse.

He knew exactly where he needed to go now.

The subwaystation was unusually empty tonight, except for Miles, nobody else was on the train.

It did not take long for Miles to reach his destination.

He stood in the middle of the street, that was still wet from the rain, and stared into the dark alley.

This was where he had seen Scott as a vampire for the first time.

That day, the alley had been packed with vampires, but now it seemed lonely and quiet.

Suddenly, Miles shook his head. What kind of dumb idea made him go here? What had he expected?

He turned away and was about to leave, when suddenly two persons were walking towards him. Miles instantly knew that they were vampires.

The male looked at the female vampire with red eyes, then they noticed Miles.

"What does he do here?", the female whispered, not especially quiet and the male looked at Miles curiously: "Mhm, smells good."

They came closer and Miles inconspicuously looked around for an escape.

"Who are you?", the woman now asked and Miles hesitated: "I-I'ma friend of Scott's."

She laughed: "Oh really? Well, he's not here."

"Lucky us", the man grinned, but the woman shook her head: "Hey, if he knows Scott, we cannot touch him!"

"I don't care", the male shrugged, "he won't ever find out about it."

Miles slowly stepped back. Why had he not taken any weapons? Why did he not have his phone wit him? Why was he so dumb?

Suddenly the male took a few fast steps towards him, looking at him closely: "I know you ..."

Miles wanted to turn his face away, but the vampire grabbed his chin, making him look at him. Suddenly the vampire raised his eyebrows and stared at him: "You've been here before! With your family, you killed my brother!"

Miles stomach turned around. Oh shit, no ...

"I don't want to cause any trouble!", he quickly said, but the vampire scoffed: "A little too late for that. You will regret everything you did and wish you were dead, believe me!"

His eyes gleamed red and he put his hand around Miles throat, so that he could not breathe anymore.

"Stop it!", his girlfriend interrupted him, grabbing his arm: "Leave him alone, we need to talk to Scott first!"

For a brief moment, the vampire was distracted, so Miles took a chance and ran.

Of course, the vampires would be able to get to him within seconds, but he hoped that the vampire's girlfriend could stop him long enough.

But as soon as Miles had run around the corner, back to the street, something hard hit his head and everything went black.