26

Miles was still standing there, unable to move. Everything around him seemed to blurr, the only thing he could see was that face with red eyes and fangs in front of him. Scott's face. The face of a vampire.

Suddenly, someone grabbed him from behind and he was thrown to the floor.

Someone was hissing, right above him and a stabbing pain went through his rips.

But as sudden as he had appeared, he also disappeared again. Confused, Miles raised his head and saw Scott holding his attacker.

"Leave him alone, I'll take care of it!", he ordered, with an expression on his face that would not tolerate any resistance.

The vampire nodded and really, he ran away. Then Scott turned to Miles, who was still lying on the floor.

"You should leave, too."

Miles just continued staring at him, until Scott got angry: "Those vampires didn't do anything to you!"

Miles did not even seem to hear what he was saying. Instead, he raised his hand in slow motion, holding the vampire recognition device up, aiming at Scott.

It immediately started blinking and Miles gasped.

"What the hell is that?", Scott wanted to know and Miles focussed back on him, stumbling a few steps backwards.

Pain washed over Scott's face, but then he urged again: "You need to leave!"

"Miles?", Logan's voice sounded from around the corner, he was looking for him.

Scott looked at Miles pleadingly, one last time, then he disappeared.

Miles kept sitting on the floor, until Logan found him: "What's wrong?"

He checked Miles up and down: "Are you hurt? Miles!"

Eventually, he helped him get up, pulling him to the car.

Miles did not say a single word while they all got in the car and Dad drove off.

Dad was frustrated: "There were so many ..."

"At least we got a few", Claire said.

"Hey", Logan was sitting on the backseat, next to Miles, and gently nudged his shoulder: "What's wrong?"

But Miles stayed quiet.

The minute they entered the penthouse, Miles rushed to his room. He looked the door and sank down on his bed. He shut his eyes tightly, wishing this night had never happened.

An hour ago, everything had been just fine. More than fine. The evening with Scott had been going great and it probably would have gotten even better, had there not been this call ...

He should have left his phone at home. Or at least ignore it. He would still be lying in Scott's bed now, happy ...

But if he thought about it, that was stupid. Even if Miles had not been there, it would not have changed the fact that Scott was ... a vampire.

Miles just would not have found out.

How could he have been so stupid? How could he have not known? All this time, he had not had the slightest idea. He had befriended Scott and he even fell in love with him, without ever noticing anything about this.

He had let Scott fool him. A monster. A vampire.

He should be thankful he was still alive ... Scott could have killed him any time, he had had enough opportunities.

Miles had trusted Scott with his biggest secret, but Scott never said anything. Why?

Why hadn't Scott at least distanced himself from Miles after he had found out that Miles was hunting vampires? That did not make any sense.

Miles felt a single, ice cold tear roll down his cheek, while he stared at the ceiling.

Suddenly, there was a knock on his window and he flinched.

He rubbed his hands over his face, then he slowly stood up to hesitantly walk towards the window. He could not make out anything, so he opened it, leaning out of the window.

And right there was Scott.

Miles tried to slam the window shut immediately, but Scott was too fast and stood in the middle of his room, before Miles could even react.

Miles jumped back and desperately looked around for anything he could use as a weapon, while distancing himself from Scott more and more.

"Come on Miles", Scott frowned, "Why are you doing this? Do you really believe I would hurt you?"

"I don't really know what to believe anymore", Miles stated, his voice cold.

"Miles...", Scott tried, but Miles interrupted him: "You're a monster!"

Scott flinched at these words and looked hurt: "Do you really think that?"

Miles stayed silent, so he quietly added: "Everything between us was real, Miles. I really do have feelings for you and I just want to live a normal life. I can't do anything about me being a vampire, but I never harm anyone!"

"I don't believe you!", Miles doubted, "Vampires don't have feelings. They just kill!"

"That's not true!", Scott insisted. "I fell in love and if you really think about it, you know that this is true. You must have felt it!"

Miles turned away and bit his lip, until Scott added: "And I don't kill."

"So you're not drinking blood?"

"Yes, I am", Scott said, "but I steal it from hospitals, so that I don't have to hurt anyone."

"Really?", Miles stared at him.

Scott nodded.

"But why?"

"I don't just attack anyone! Believe it or not, Vampires have feelings, too. Okay, some more than others, but still: Not all vampires are monsters. And those you attacked today, they're just like me! They are friends of mine and they didn't do anything wrong."

Miles hesitated, so Scott continued: "Listen, you know me. I don't want to harm anyone."

He took a deep breath. "I'll stay away from you from now on. But please don't tell your family ... I just want to live my life, I don't want to cause any trouble."

Miles did not know what to say. And even if he had found the right words to say, he would not have been able to speak.

Scott looked at him quietly for a while, then he slowly walked towards the window: "I really hope you make the right decision."

He climbed out of the window and turned around one last time: "I am really sorry ..."

With that, he left. And Miles stood there, frozen.