27

On Monday and Tuesday, Miles was able to avoid Scott. During the lessons they had together, he sat down at a different desk and during lunch he avoided the cafeteria. When he saw Scott in the hallway, he turned around and walked in the other direction.

And it seemed to work like that. It hurt, but Miles did not know what else to do.

He had not told his family anything. As much as he hated vampires, he could not betray Scott. Even if he was not who Miles had believed he was, he was still Scott. At least ... kind of.

And Miles could not get rid of the feeling that maybe there was truth in what Scott had said. Maybe not all vampires were monsters and maybe they could even have real feelings.

But Miles forbid himself to think about that. Because he knew how that would end. He would give in and he would want to go back to Scott.

But he could not do that.

Scott was a vampire and Miles was a hunter.

Also, Miles hated vampires. He had hated vampires all his life.

His dad had probably sat on his bed, right after Miles was born, and already talked about evil vampires. Well, maybe not that early, but Miles could not think of a time that his family did not tell him how bad vampires were. That there was nothing worse and that killing vampires would always be their duty.

As a child, all his nightmares had been about those monsters, so that he trained fighting every day, because he wanted to be strong enough to fight them. He kept practicing, until the darkness finally did not scare him anymore.

His whole childhood had been about hunting. Until New York, he had never had a real home, because they were always looking for vampires all around the country.

And now, in the place he finally felt like he belonged somewhere, like this could be his home, he had to fall in love with a vampire.

Why couldn't Scott just be a normal person? Was that too much to ask for? Just one  thing in his life to be normal?

Miles shook his head. To avoid drowning in self pity, he made his way to the cafeteria.

Originally, he had planned to avoid this place for at least ... a few years maybe? But he felt like he was close to starving, so he had no choice.

He was still distracted by his thoughts while walking through the hallways, so he did not notice Nate until he was standing right in front of him.

"Miles!", Nate called out and Miles flinched: "Woah, um ... hi, Nate?"

"What the hell is up?", Nate asked and Miles pretended to be dumb: "What do you mean?"

"For days you've been avoiding me and Scott and Scott told me you're not friends anymore?!"

"I don't want to talk about it", Miles brushed him off and was about to push past him, but Nate stopped him: "Did you have a fight? Break up? That's still no reason to just end our friendship! Come on, tell me what happened!"

Miles shook his head: "You wouldn't understand ..."

Nate scoffed: "Just because I'm not gay? Well, it's not that much of a difference..."

"No, it has nothing to do with that. Just ... just forget about it."

"Pleaaaaase", Nate begged, "at least tell me why?"

"Why don't you ask Scott?", Miles muttered, and Nate finally gave up.

When Miles arrived at home, he wanted to go to his room and be alone, just like he did during the last days, but this time, Logan stepped into his way: "What's up?"

Miles frowned: "I'm tired, could you please get out of my way?"

"What happened on friday, that left you so disturbed?!"

"I'm not disturbed."

Logan scoffed: "You haven't said a word in days and always disappear into your room!"

"But I'm fine", Miles said and pushed past his brother, into his room. He shut the door and locked it, then he fell down on his bed, closing his eyes. He just wanted to be alone.