7

The following week was rather exhausting. Dad was still angry, but at least he and Claire had stopped yelling eventually. Now they did not speak with each other at all, which did not really contribute to a better mood in the penthouse.

Miles spend most of his afternoons with Scott and Nate, to avoid most of  the fights at home.

Every evening he and Sammy played Fifa and so far there were no more jobs to do.

It was Thursday evening and Miles and Sammy were at the Playstation in the living room, when Claire came running through the front door, shouting for Dad.

Miles rolled his eyes, expecting another fight, until he noticed that Claire had not come alone.

He frowned and looked at the guy, who stood in their living room.

He was pale, wore jeans and a poloshirt and huge glasses. In his hands he held a backpack and he seemed a bit nervous.

"Who is that?", Sammy asked, but Claire ignored him and shouted again: "Dad, could you come down here, please?"

"What is it?", Dad's voice sounded from upstairs.

When he came into the living room he frowned, looking at the stranger in his home.

"Dad, this is Lawrence", Claire introduced the guy, who smiled nervously.

Dad only frowned, looking at Lawrence briefly, then back to Claire:"Great."

At that moment, Miles felt a bit sorry for Lawrence, he had already seemed nervous and Dad could be very intimidating if he wanted to.

"We should take a seat", Claire suggested, directioning towards the sofas.

Reluctantly, Dad walked over to the sofas, but remained standing with a critical look on his face.

Claire and Lawrance sat down on one of the sofas and when Lawrence accidentally touched Claire's arm, his face turned bright red and he quickly distanced himself, muttering an apology.

Claire just gave him a confused look, but then already turned back to her father, while Lawrence was watching her.

Miles tried hard not to grin, it was so obvious that Lawrence had a big crush on Claire. Poor guy, he probably did not have any chance with her.

Claire usually found most guys annoying and boring, probably because she grew up with three brothers, and if she ever said anything positive about a man, then it was about actors she thought looked hot. But she still considered them dumb.

Now, Claire began to explain: "So, Lawrence found the website that Larissa used to talk to that guy she wanted to meet at the park. You can use it for chatting with strangers and getting to know them.Dating-shit, you know? So, my plan is that I set up an account, too. So I'm the bait. And then I can arrange a meeting with those guys and we can ... um", he looked at Lawrence and quickly put on a smile: "meet. We can meet them."

"But is that safe?", Mom, who had just come out of the kitchen, asked.

"Of course it is", Claire said and look at Dad expenctantly.

He hesitated, but then nodded: "Alright. But can I talk to you alone quickly?"

Claire bit her lip and slowly stood up: "Um, okay ..."

They walked into the hallway and Dad looked at Claire angrily: "Who is that guy?!"

"Lawrence, I told you a few minutes ago ..."

"That's not what I mean. What is he doing here? You can't just bring some stranger here! Our work has to stay secret, did you forget that?!"

Claire rolled here eyes: "No, I didn't. But don't worry, he doesn't know anything and he won't talk about this to anyone."

Dad did not seem satisfied, so she added: "We need him! He can help us find these vampires, and that's what you wanted, isn't it?"

"Okay, fine", Dad finally agreed.

Meanwhile, Mom had taken Sammy with her to the kitchen to prepare dinner.

Logan and Miles now watched Lawrence, who was obviously very uncomfortable. Suddenly Miles stood up and sat down right next to him.

"Soo", he started and Lawrence looked at him, unsure what he wanted.

Miles grinned: "How do you know Claire?"

"I-um, we work together", he stuttered quickly.

"And you like her?", Logan asked, sitting down on the other side of Lawrence.

"What?! No, I- I mean, yes ... no!", Lawrence shook his head quickly and Logan winked at Miles.

"Don't worry, we won't tell her", Miles assured him and laughed.

"Lawrence, come here!", Claire called him from the stairs and he jumped: "I'm coming!"

They now disappeared into Claire's room to take care of that account.