1-Pay up, Princess

"Wait!" I shouted as I chased after the bus. "Please, stop!" But the bus driver didn't notice me and drove on.

Fantastic. I thought. Now I'll be late on my first day back at school.

I ran a hand through my slightly wavy brown hair and tossed my worn down skateboard onto the bench beside the bus stop sign. I checked my wristwatch, seeing that it was now 7:04. I'd missed the seven o'clock bus and the next one won't be here till... 7:30 or 8:00? How am I supposed to know? I've always only taken the seven o'clock bus, I don't know when there's supposed to be another one. I sighed and thought about how far the school is.

Maybe I could get there myself? Yea... I guess I could. If I want to get there in an hour. And that's on a skateboard.

Letting out an exasperated sigh, I slouched back onto the bench. The cold morning air sent a shiver through me and I bit my lip as I thought of the snowy weather to come. Winter this year had been filled mostly with cold rain and dark clouds, but if the weather predictions are correct, it should be snowing within the next couple weeks.

I watched the first rays of sunlight peek over the tops of the graffitied buildings of downtown Dartwell and set my worn down skateboard onto the ground next to me. I listened to the rough sckkkrrr of the wheels against the wet pavement as I fidgeted with the board at my feet. A small gust of wind caught my hair, causing my long, brown bangs to fall in front of my stormy grey eyes. I had given up on trying to tuck the strands behind my ears a long time ago.

I stole one last glance at my ticking watch, cheering the long second hand on as it ticked agonizingly slow. Coming to the conclusion that I, sadly, could not harness the powers of the universe and speed up time, I began to hum a tune to busy myself as I waited. Soon after allowing my mind to wander as I hummed a mindless song, I found myself tapping my foot on the ground at a fast and steady rate, splashing water from a puddle up on my skinny jeans.

Stupid ADHD.

In an attempt to stop my tapping, I slapped a hand over my thigh and once again let my mind wander elsewhere. About twenty seconds later, I looked down at my bouncing legs and huffed, this time moving over to a dry area instead of trying to stop it. I don't know why I still tried to stop it. It's not exactly something you can control.

I waited a full thirty minutes before the next bus arrived. The bus driver opened the door and looked like he would rather be doing anything else than driving strangers to bus stops at 7:30 in the morning. Sitting up from the bench I was sitting on, I turned my pockets inside out, only to find a crumpled dollar, a nickel, a hairpin, and some gum.

Yea, this isn't going to cut it. The gum is still good though...

The bus driver looked at me expectantly but I just shrugged my shoulders and gestured to my empty pockets. The guy rolled his eyes before closing the bus doors and driving on. I quickly glanced around me to make sure no one was around before I popped the gum in my mouth and zipped up my skull-faced hoodie over my face. As soon as the bus started to move, I scooped up my skateboard and made a mad dash for the back of the bus. While the bus was still going slow, I managed to jump onto the back and hold onto the handle of the emergency exit in the back. A startled old lady glanced back at me and did a double take. She just blinked at me and I grinned back at her, though she couldn't see it through the masked hood. She simply sighed and rubbed her eyes repetitively, probably thinking I was a hallucination from lack of sleep. I chuckled to myself before turning back around and repositioning myself into a somewhat comfortable position, hugging my backpack and skateboard to my chest.