7- Aye, Aye, Captain

When I woke up it was already 12:00pm. Oh don't pretend you haven't slept in later! The latest I had slept in was 3:00 pm, but only because I hadn't gotten home until 4:00am because I had been out graffitiing the wall of an abandoned house.

I rolled off of my mound of blankets and pillows and onto the cold, wooden floor. I stayed there for about a minute before I was ready to get up, because no one can just hop out of bed and feel happy and ready for the day. King felt the same and stayed on my bed before getting up to stretch his legs.

I was shocked that I hadn't caught a cold after yesterday, but somehow I felt fine.

"Hey King," I muttered. His ears immediately perked up and he tilted his head at me. "You want to go for a... Walk?" The moment the W word left my mouth he ran circles around me and sprinted down stairs. I chuckled at his little spaz attack. King knew what a few words meant, Walk was one of them. He also knew Outside, Treat, and Dinner Time. And of course he knew commands like sit and heal and what not. Except I taught him the commands in German so no one could command him but me.

When I walked down the stairs, King was already waiting by the front door, his tail wagging and his tongue sticking out. I chuckled and grabbed his leash and a jacket before we both left the building and crawled through the fence. As soon as we left the house King was basically dragging me through the alleys, knowing exactly where to go. Once we were out in the open, he came to a stop and took in his surroundings with his ears pulled back and his nose twitching. As we walked down the side walk, King would let out a low growl every time someone passed and move closer to me in a protective way.

He was usually more weary around men because of his abusive past, but around women he was a little more comfortable and sometimes protective. I remember when I was walking him through town and he all of a sudden started barking loudly and pulling on his leash. He yanked his leash out of my grip and darted around the corner of a building. When I caught up to him, he was biting and pulling on a mans pants sleeve. I was about to stop King, but I then noticed that a few feet away there was a gun on the ground and a woman as pale as snow, shaking up against the brick wall of a building. When the guy was free, he bolted down the street and never looked back. The woman thanked me and told me that this guy jumped her and tried to mug her. She was afraid he might have done something worse if King had not intervened when he did. Surprisingly, when the woman leaned down to pat his head, he didn't flinch or growl. I figured he must not be as frightened as women as he was men.

We walked down the street towards to nicer side of town and towards the park. After a while of walking, King calmed down a bit and wasn't so jumpy. He would eye people closely when they would come a little too close, but other than that he just trotted happily down the sidewalk.

As we began to enter the "friendly" neighborhood, I peered through windows of shops and eyed the fancy jewelry and pretty dresses. My mouth watered at the sight of candy through the windows of candy shops, but I knew that candy wasn't exactly my main priority to me at the moment. When we passed restaurants, I would slow down a bit just so I could enjoy the amazing smells that came from inside. Sometimes I would try and linger around for a while, hoping that if I smell the food for long enough that I just might be able to taste a small bit of the expensive, delicious food. Now-a-days, my diet mainly consists of granola bars, apples, and takeout food.

I stopped in front of one restaurant in particular. It wasn't a crazy expensive place, but the food smelled amazing inside. I looked up at the sign above the door and it read, "The Mad Hatter Cafe".

Interesting name... I thought.

Maybe it was an Alice in Wonderland themed? I didn't really care much though since I didn't bring any money with me. I let out a sigh and was about to continue walking when I heard a loud thud against the glass. I nearly jumped out of my skin, and King was beside me in a moment with his ears pulled back and his teeth bared. When I looked down into the window, I realized that it was Jordan and that he had slapped his hands against the glass to scare me. I relaxed and let out a breath of air, seeing that it was just my four companions-by-contract, and King also relaxed seeing that I was okay.