Ruby

Ruby's POV

I threw my books hurriedly into my locker. Nothing had gone right today. Not since the minute Jason Monroe stepped into the classroom. He stared at me throughout biology class and whenever I summoned the courage to look back at him, he would grin, making my skin prickle.

He made me so uncomfortable.

I turned around slowly when I heard loud laughter erupt from the far end of the locker room and my eyes caught sight of a few girls gathered in front of a locker. I wasn't surprised when I spotted Jase in the middle. I sighed.

He practically owned the school.

It was no doubt he had been a legend here before he left.

Why did he leave? When did he leave? Why did he return? He had been so sure that the both of us would meet again. Did he come here? Was he stalking me? Would he go this far to get what he wanted?

My heart nearly jumped out of my body when our eyes met. I pulled my gaze away in the silliest manner turning back to my locker. I grabbed my sweater and then reached in my locker for some books when my locker shot with a loud 'bang', making me jump in fright. Luckily, I was quick enough to pull my hand away before it shot completely. I whirled around quickly, my cheeks hot with anger.

"What the hell is wrong with you? My hand was in there, I could have-" The rest of my words dried in my throat when I came face to face with the devil.

"Hello Ruby." He grinned.

I wanted to slap him so bad to wipe his smirk off his face but instead, I clenched my fists and reminded myself to breathe.

"Get away from me." I made a move to walk away but he placed both hands in each sides of my locker, trapping me in the middle. I let my eyes run through the surprised faces of the students around us. They obviously wanted to know why Jason was talking to me. I inhaled deeply and then rose my chin.

"Get out of my way." I said quietly. He chuckled.

"I'm not afraid of you." I continued. pulling my gaze away from his. "So, you better let me go before I -"

"Jason!" Someone approached us. I froze. Unable to move. I just stood there like a statue as Tyler approached us. Tyler Marshall was the most popular guy at Marshall Arts. Apart from the fact that his grandfather owned the grounds we were standing on, he was a super cute talented swimmer and leader of the schools dance team, 'suspenders'. He was also an excellent student academically and he happened to be the captain of the football team too. He also used to be my boyfriend.

Jase looked at me for a few more as if he'd sensed the shift in my mood before he dropped his hands and then turned around.

"Marshall!" The both of them hugged. Tyler was clearly excited.

"Man!" Tyler exclaimed. "How long has it been?" He his eyes wander towards my direction but they moved past me and then scanned the hallway. My heart was racing. I needed to leave. "How's your arm?" He gestured towards Jase' arm. Jase followed his gaze and wiggled his fingers.

"Good as new."

"That's really good news." His gaze met mine. Pulling my gaze away came like a reflex action. I turned around and began to walk away and no one cared.

"I almost didn't believe it when the guys told me you were back." Tyler continued. "You have got a lot of explaining to do, Monroe."

Jase chuckled.

"Only if you have a lot of time to listen."

As I walked further away, their voices grew thinner until I couldn't hear them anymore. My chest felt heavy when I thought about how Tyler pretended not to see me.