If I Tossed A Coin

Ruby's POV

In the past few hours,I'd realized that the only thing worse than Jason Monroe being in school was Jason Monroe not being in school.

I wouldn't exactly label myself as the worried friend,considering the fact that we weren't even friends and it was normal for boys like him to miss school... Tyler did it all the time. So did Ward,and Damon. But somehow,it felt weird....unusual that I hadn't heard one cocky,demanding remark since I arrived in school.

It was even more unsettling that Brie was also missing, her usual seat now occupied by a brunet I'd never seen my entire life. The class seemed even fuller today,the students even more attentive if that was possible.

Not that I cared whether or not they both missed school because they were together. As a matter of fact,I couldn't care less that they were together.

Tapping my feet nervously against the floor,I placed my elbows on the table,trying my best to concentrate on what Mr. Belvedere was saying.

It was even harder to miss it now.

Mr. Belvedere's constant glancing at the left end of the front row where Jessica sat, Jessica consistently tucking her hair behind her ear..

It was seemingly impossible to miss now.

I was so lost in my thoughts, I didn't didn't notice Mr. Belvederes lips stop moving...or that the class had become dead silent. Not until he called my attention.

"Miss Kent?" His voice snapped me out of my thoughts and I cringed inwardly when I realized the entire student body had their eyes on me. I blinked twice and then swallowed.

What the hell was going on?

I opened my mouth to say something when I was immediately cut off by a familiar voice in the center of the classroom.

"It was chapter six. And we talked about stage management." The voice said loudly,drawing the attention away from me. Mr. Belvedere looked away too for a split second.

"Thank you,Tyler." He pursed his lip and then turned back to me. "Please, pay attention Miss Kent." He gave me a lazy stare as he turned to the board and then began to scribble. I bit down on my lower lip,feeling heat crawl up to my cheeks.

Even in his absence, Jason Monroe still found a way to haunt me.

Why on earth was I even calling him by his last name?

I guessed it was fair since he did call me Ruby Kent.

Why was I even thinking about him?

Ugh.

Letting out a frustrated sigh,I tucked in few strands of hair behind my ear and then looked up. What I didn't expect though was to meet with Tyler's gaze the moment I raised my eyes. He almost looked worried.... Almost looked concerned.

I gulped hard and then relaxed slowly into my seat as I mouthed a silent 'thank you.' He nodded slowly and for the first time in a long time, he didn't look like he was in a hurry to pull his gaze away,instead he bit down on his lip for the briefest second,his eyebrows narrowing as he opened his mouth to say something.

"Mister Marshall,Miss Kent,I'd like to have your attention back if you don't mind?" Mr. Belvedere clapped twice, making me jump for the second time in two minutes, snapping me out of the butterfly bubble I'd let myself get buried in.

It was even more embarrassing that the majority of the class turned to look at me,totally saving Tyler of all the embarrassment. I felt my heat rise to my cheek as I sank my teeth deep into my lower lip.

"Thank you." He gave me a tight lipped smile and his eyes almost seemed sympathetic as he turned away from the class. He stole a quick glance at his wristwatch and then sighed as he moved towards the podium.

"Well,I'm afraid we'll have to call it a day. I'd like to use whatever few minutes we have left to take your attendance." He said absentmindedly as he pulled the brown register open. "I'd also like to remind you all that your project carries fifty percent of your grade this year. I'd advice you all to take it very,very seriously if you're certain you want to graduate this year. And also,for those of you who are yet to turn in your consent slips,please do that as soon as possible. I will certainly not tolerate any of you showing up unexpectedly in private jets or fancy cars in New Jersey. We all leave together in the school bus. Do I make myself clear?" He shot the class a pointed look.

"Alright." He continued,glancing down at his register. "Brianna Anderson?" He paused for a few seconds even though it was obvious his words would be met with silence. "Emery Whitehill?"

"Here." Emery answered, slightly raising up her right hand.

I zoned out after that,only momentarily glancing up when Jason's name was called without a response and then when my name was called. Because suddenly, it occurred to me that fifty percent of my grades this semester was lying in the hands of Jason Monroe. And that without ballet,the chances of me graduating this year with the rest of them was becoming thinner by the second.

"And then finally,Ward Lambert." Mr. Belvedere said with a tone of finality.

"Here sir." Ward said just as the bell went off.

Always on time.

"Great. Any questions?" He asked,gathering his books together.

"If I flipped a coin,Mr. Belvedere, what would be the chances of me getting a head?" A sultry voice called from the back of the class.

Damn!

Mr. Belvedere smiled slightly from under his lashes as he grabbed his bag and slung it over his shoulder. If he got the real meaning behind her question,he didn't show it.

"I don't know about that,Miss Rose but I'm sure your math teacher would be more than happy to help you with that very interesting question." He slung his bag over his shoulder. "See you guys tomorrow." He said and immediately, the bell rang.

On time as usual.

The classroom became rowdy as soon as he walked out of the classroom and as I watched them walk out the door in peers,I made a mental note to find Jason.

We had a story to write.

Hey guys,
Please vote,comment and share.

Love,Chay