Love Is Sacrifice

Roxi's POV

"No." Will mumbled sleepily as I pulled his hand slowly away from my waist.

He'd fallen asleep almost immediately his body hit the bed but apparently, he wasn't as much as a deep sleeper as I thought he was.

"Hey, I'm right here. I just wanna get some water,okay?" I cooed, running my fingers through his hair. He muttered a very long string of inaudible words but released his grip anyway,allowing me get off the bed.

He was simply a child sometimes.

I ran my fingers through my hair, tightening my robe around my waist as I pulled the last moved towards my drawer and then pulled the last cabinet open. Being as quiet as I could be,I let my fingers rummage through the contents in the cabinet until I found what I was looking for.

I pulled out the thin white envelope and after taking one last glance at Will, I grabbed my phone from the vanity table and carefully exited the room.

I had to do this.

I made my way to one of the guestrooms nearby and then shut the door behind me,even though I was pretty sure Will wasn't waking up anytime soon.

After I was seated comfortably by the windowsill,I tapped the screen of my phone a few times and then pressed it close to my ear.

He picked up after the third ring, his breathing heavy.

"Roxi." He breathed.

"Hi, Rick." I said quietly.

There was silence on the other end for a few seconds, causing me to speak up once more.

"Did I-" I paused. "Did I interrupt something? If I did, I could just call back another time I-"

"No." He cut me off. "No, its okay." There was a pause and I could hear feint footsteps in the background. "How are you?" He asked finally. "Is everything okay?"

"Everything's fine, Rick." I reached for the envelope,tearing the seal so I could bring out the piece of paper inside. "I wrote you a letter." I bit down on my lower lip and then drew in a deep breath.

"You wrote me a letter?" He repeated, confusion evident in his voice. "Roxi, I saw you this morning."

"Nine years ago,dummy." A small smile crossed my lip as I began to carefully unfold the delicate piece of paper in my hands. There was silence on the other end of the line and I took it as a sign to continue. I swallowed hard and then drew in a deep breath.

"Dear Rick," I started and the moment those words left my lips, everything came back. I remembered sitting down on a small wooden stool, cleaning tears away from my face as I struggled to see with the dim light from my bedside lamp. I pushed the memory away, refusing to allow myself get emotional. "My life is falling apart." I continued. "Everything is falling apart and you're not here." I paused,my voice breaking. I heard him take in a sharp breath on the other end. "My-my father is getting worse and its getting harder to keep up with everything. I feel like I am loosing my mind." I stammered. "I need you, Rick." I said slowly, feeling a tear drop roll down my cheek. "I-I just need you." I shut my eyes for a few seconds, quickly wiping the tears away from my face. I heard him inhale sharply but it took a few seconds before he spoke.

"Why didn't ever you send it?" He asked softly. "I would have come." He added. I drew in a deep breath and then exhaled.

"I know that." I answered honestly. "Exams were just around the corner and I knew you'd drop everything to be there for me." I sniffed and then shook my head. "I would never do that to you."

"Roxi-"

"Love is sacrifice." I cut him off. "You thought me that." I shook my head, preparing myself for what I was about to say next. "And now, I am begging you, Rick-" I paused and then swallowed hard, feeling tears well up in my eyes once more. "Forget about me."

I didn't want him to leave.

God knew I wished things didnt have to be like this.

But I was doing this for him.

"The plans you had for us, the places we planned to go, find a girl who is worthy, Rick. Find a girl who would love you with all of her heart-" My voice broke, forcing me to draw in a deep breath.

"Roxi-"

"Find a girl that you can be with, Richard. Be happy."

"Roxi-" He started once more.

"You deserve someone who would love you just as much as-"

"Roxi, I'm leaving." He cut me off and this time,I did stop talking. I froze, feeling my heart shatter into a thousand pieces. "I already packed my bags, my flight leaves ten o' clock." He paused. "Tonight." He added.

I drew in a deep breath, feeling my heart beat rapidly against my chest.

"Where will you go?"

I knew I shouldn't have asked but I couldn't help myself.

"France." He paused. "Paris seemed like a good start. It is after all, the city of love." He added with enthusiasm, an attempt to lighten the mood. I laughed even though there were tears threatening to fall from eyes.

"Rick?" I said finally after a few seconds had passed.

"Hmm?"

Stay.

"After some time has passed, could you maybe write to me about French bread? "

I instantly mentally slapped myself the moment the question left my mouth. But he laughed, the tension from earlier instantly dying down.

"There's no one else like you,Roxi." He paused. "The test results came out. You should drop by the hospital on your way to work tomorrow. I think you'll be pleased." He added immediately, as though he was trying to cover up what he said earlier.

"Richard?" I called for what I was pretty sure would be the last time.

"Yes, Roxi?"

Will I see you again?

"Stay safe." I said quietly, but he heard me.

"You too,Roxi."

"Take care of yourself." I added. This time,he responded with a throaty response instead of actual words. "Goodnight, Rick."

"Goodnight,Roxi."

Goodbye.

And then the line went dead. Hugging my phone close to my chest,I let out a small laugh, choking back a sob.

It hurt that things had to end like this but somehow, there was peace within me.

Peace because I knew I'd done the right thing.

Vote,comment, share, recommend.

-Love,Chay.