Bandanas

Keenan's POV

"You're so beautiful." I whispered under my breath. I felt at ease the moment my words left my mouth.

It felt good, saying it out loud. Considering how long I'd held it in.

The feeling of her fingers tracing circles around my chest felt good.

Hell, even the weight of her head on my left shoulder felt good.

It felt right.

Like this was how things were supposed to be.

Maybe this could work.

She looked up at me, her eyes searching mine as though she was trying to see the truth in my words. I ran my hand up her arm,feeling her tremble slightly under my touch.

I smiled slightly at the effect I had on her.

It felt good to know I wasn't the only one going crazy in the both of us.

"Tell me something about you that I don't already know." I said after a few moments of silence. She sat up slightly and then turned to partly lie on her stomach,resting on her elbows for support.

"Do you mean that?" She asked slowly and I could only nod, staring up at her with adoration.

"Uhm-" She drifted closer,placing her head on my chest once more. "My name," She paused for a second. I could feel her heartbeat accelerate due to our close proximity. "My name used to be Rachael." She said slowly,a hint of sadness in her voice. "Before my mother-"

"Rachael suits you." I cut her off, slowly burying my fingers in her hair. "But I think I like Kimberly." I added. I felt her relax immediately, her breath evening. "Tell me something else." I paused, pushing some strands of hair away from her face.

I wanted to see her. To really see her.

"Something happy." I added.

Her face seemed to fall for a second, her eyebrows furrowing. She rubbed her temples, seemingly lost in thought. It was sad, really.

Sad that she took so much time to think about a good memory. And then after a few seconds, her eyes lit up,a genuine smile spreading across her face. I watched her with keen curiosity, feeling her smile grow on me.

I was in some serious deep shit.

"Its stupid." She shook her head, biting down on my lower lip.  My eyes followed the gesture and it took every single form of constraint I had in me not to pull her closer and kiss her senseless. Instead, I ran my fingers through her hair once more, this time, allowing myself trace it all the way down till my hand came in contact with her the small of her back. She inhaled sharply at the impact and I took it as a sign to continue,tracing circles on her back.

"Tell me."

"Okay." She grinned and then paused. "But don't say I didn't warn you." She chuckled,pulling the duvet even higher to cover her chest as she moved. "Bandanas."

"Bandanas?" I echoed as a chuckle escaped my lips. It sounded foreign. Even to me.

I realized then that it had been a while. A while since I'd actually let myself be around the people who made me happy,people who made me laugh.

"I-used to have a bandana obsession when I was in high school." She dragged her words and even though a shade of red crawled up her cheeks, her smile remained.

"I had hundreds of them. I used to make sure to pair them with whatever I wore. Every single day. It made mum so angry." She gave a small laugh, her voice dying down along with the laugh.

"What happened to them?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Oh, they disappeared." She shrugged. "On my eighteenth birthday, I pulled my drawer open and all my bandanas were gone. Replaced with a closet full on lingerie." She paused. "Courtesy of mummy dearest." She added,a sad smile on her face. I pulled her close, the shift in the atmosphere obvious.

"Do you miss her?" I asked quietly. It was a stupid question, considering the fact that it had barely been two months ago. But I asked anyway.

"Everyday." She bit down on her lower lip and then faked a smile. "But it doesn't matter. She's not coming back." She added quickly,pushing a few strands of hair away from her face.

Guilty.

I felt guilty as fuck hearing her talk about Gloria.

But it was not in my place to say anything to her.

"Maybe she's in a better place now." I said calmly after a few seconds. She smiled and then nodded.

"Tell me something about you." She said, placing her head on my chest once more. I sighed, feeling my lips curve upwards in a sly smile.

"I like holding you." I grinned, tracing circles around her back once more. I felt her shiver, and although I couldn't see her face anymore,I knew her cheeks were red as a tomato.

"Something else."

"I've actually wanted to kiss you since the day you came to my office."

She let out an exasperated sigh.

"Something personal." She said, sounding impatient. It wasn't supposed to but it brought a smile to my face.

"You always smell so good." I teased. She let out a frustrated sigh and then glared at me, her lips curved downwards.

"I would do anything for my family." I grinned, watching her expression ease.

"Anything?" She raised an eyebrow. I nodded.

"Anything." There was finality in my voice.  "And you're family now." I added,stroking her arms. She seemed to relax, placing her head on my chest once more.

"Something else."

"I might be gone before you wake up." I said slowly. I knew this was not what she meant when she said something else, but it was something I'd have had to say either way. I felt her body stiffen, and then she's tried to sit up but I tightened my grip on her arm, making it impossible for her to switch positions.

"There's just stuff I have to take care of back home. But I'd be back before you know it." I assured her. She was quiet for a few seconds.

"Do you really have to go?" She asked finally after a few seconds and I could only manage a throaty response.

"Go to sleep." I told her after a few seconds. Her body didn't seem completely relaxed but she nodded anyway.

Vote, comment,recommend, share.

Love

-Chay