2

"Sir Ashton, another letter for you has arrived."

After knocking on the door, that was open anyway, a page interrupted Michael and Ashton's conversation. They were sat at a table in one of their favourite rooms of the whole castle.

"Thank you, you can go now."

Ashton said when he received the letter and the page left. A little nervous, he glanced at the name on the back of the letter, Michael peering over his shoulder.

"Duke Charles Beauregard of Bourbon. Ash, what did you do now?"

Even though it was meant to be a joke, Ashton could sense the hint of worry in his half-brother's voice. His face lit up when he realised he had succeeded and he had to bite his lip to try to keep himself from smiling.

"Remember Marie Beauregard?"

"Your suitor?"

"Former suitor. I don't think she still wants to marry me."

Michael rolled his eyes, wondering whether he even wanted to know how he had done it. So he just gazed at the older boy, who was too busy doing a happy dance to think about any consequences.

"You do know dad's going to be furious, right?"

He reminded him, but it was of no avail. When Ashton was happy, nothing could bring him down. His curls bounced up on down and his eyes lit up. No one would even want to bring him down, but Michael had no choice. Someone had to tell him.

"I don't care. What is he going to do?"

The ecstatic boy replied, his smile not fading.

"And you do know there're still about 13 girls left, right?"

Michael laughed, because damn, Ashton's laugh was contagious. That Marie girl didn't know what she was missing, although he doubted Ashton would ever be as happy around her.

"I do. I'll deal with them later."

"Ashton Fletcher Irwin. Your emotions. They're all over the place."

Ashton's smile only widened when their teacher, Gabriel, came in. Unlike most other teachers of their time, he wasn't a priest, heck, he wasn't even religious. He often wondered how they ended up with someone like him, seeing as his father was a very religious man. But he'd rather not question it, he was just glad they had met him. Gabriel was the person who had taught them more than anyone ever had and ever would, he was the person they looked up to.

"Sorry, sorry, you know I can't help it."

Gabriel couldn't help but smile at the nineteen year old, who he had met when he was merely seven years old. Even then, Ashton had been boisterous, the completely opposite of young Michael.

"He just got rid of another girl."

Michael explained, sending a knowing wink to Gabriel.

"Perhaps our Ashton is more interested in Louis Beauregard, the duke's son."

They had been making this joke for years, but Ashton blushed every time.

"Not so loud, someone could hear you."

If anyone found out about Ashton's sexuality, his life would be over. They'd ban him, disinherit him and rob him of his pride. They could even kill him. Gabriel and Michael were the only ones he had trusted with his secret, the only people he knew who weren't homophobes.

"Calm down, you know we would never tell anyone."

Calm down. That sentence didn't apply to Ashton Irwin.

"Everyone's always telling me to calm down, but I can't, okay? What if I don't even want to?"

Despite his bliss, they'd managed to irritate him a little.

"I know, I'm sorry."

Michael quickly apologised. He had to admit he preferred Ashton's happiness.

"You don't want me to end up like that blond servant, do you? The one we saw yesterday, with his lips pursed together, refusing to show any emotions."

He had to admit it fascinated him a little, his stoic act. Even more than his disappearance, really.

"You mean, Luke?"

So far for the mysterious side.

"How do you know his name?"

Ashton hadn't noticed the boy mentioning his name. All he had heard were a couple of stutters.

"Because I asked him?"

The amount of sarcasm in Michael's voice made Ashton want to slam his head against the wall, but he preferred not to.

Michael had encountered Luke once again, this time while the younger boy, at least he assumed he was younger, tried to help out the servers. Of course he failed and ended up dropping a plate, but after a glare from Michael, no one dared to bother Luke.

"Since when do you talk to people? I thought you only talked to defend people or if you really had to."

What Ashton said was right, Michael hated small talk. But he had made an exception for Luke, who seemed about just as awkward as him. If you looked past the stutters that interrupted his stoic act, he seemed nice enough.

"Maybe he could teach you something. Like when you should think twice before you speak to avoid hurting people."

"Michael's right, Ashton. As your teacher, I think it'd do you good."

"What? why? I know how to talk to people, even shy people. Michael and I get along just fine."

"That's because we grew up together."

Maybe it would be a good idea. Perhaps it would help him to be as loved as Michael, who did just fine without social skills. He would finally get a chance to meet someone who wasn't Michael or Gabriel. And he could find out the reason behind Luke's tight-lipped act.

A/N

Update days might be wednesdays and saturdays :) I'll try that and see how it works out!

Thanks so much to everyone who's reading this, I really appreciate it and promise to reply to your comments.