➳ 43

"Maybe we should meet with him," Moony said as she and Cara sat in the latter's closed bakery, taking a sip from the coffee Cara had brought her a few minutes ago.

            "I don't think I can, Moony," Cara shook her head, "I think I'd actually hit him in the face if I saw him again, if I'm completely honest with you."

            "We could tell him to stop," she said, "We could meet up with him and tell him, in person, to stop trying to get a hold of us. We're not interested in fixing what he broke."

            "I don't know." Cara curled her hands into fists atop her thighs, closing her eyes briefly as she thought back to the last time she saw her Father. It had been the night before he left — before he abandoned them —. He tucked her into bed, pressed a kiss to her forehead, and said he'd see her tomorrow. They were supposed to play dress up together, like they did every Friday after school, and then she was going to help him make dinner with Oliver.

             Had there been any signs back then that her four-year-old eyes had overlooked? Had he looked tired, guilty? Had he looked like he hated the very sight of her? Was she the reason he left? Had she driven him into the arms of another woman? Into another family? Maybe she was a bad child.

            It couldn't have been her Mom. Her Mom had loved him so dearly. She used to support him through everything— through sickness and through health, just like they vowed. Where had it gone wrong? Feelings could fade, sure, but did they disappear overnight? Did they leave so suddenly that the very thought of staying with your family repulsed you?

           Would Dylan wake up one morning and find that he didn't love her any more? Would he abandon her and their children like her own Father did? Would he walk out of her home and into someone else's? Would he start a family with her, leaving them to pick up the pieces of the things he broke? Was history destined to repeat itself? Was there something she could do to prevent that?

           "Cara..." Moony's voice made her open her eyes, and it was then that she noticed the worried expression on her sister's face.

           "I'll think about it." She stood. "I've got to— It's time for me to open it up for the afternoon. I'll— I'll think about it."

---

my poor bby cara

just fyi, this book is gonna end on 100 chapters

and that's it for the whole cara | moony | paisley series-thingy

Forever ➳ O'Brien [3]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara