➳ 55

Cara opened the door of her home to raised voices. Actually, just one raised voice— Dylan's. And it wasn't the voice he used to scold Rory when she was misbehaving. This was the voice he used when he was down right angry, and that confused Cara. He'd been fine when she left for the bakery just under two hours ago, called in by a panicked employee during the lunch time rush — apparently, one of the other women hired by Cara had been stolen away from her shift by a family emergency that she forgot to tell Cara about.  He'd been good, and perfectly content with entertaining Cara's long-lost half-sister while she was away.

               Oh. Rosie. She'd almost forgotten about her in the dramatics of her bakery, but now she realised that the reason behind the raised voices probably had something to do with the aforementioned long-lost half-sister. The very one that had turned up, unannounced, at Cara's home earlier that morning, with the peppy explanation of wanting to spend time with her newfound family. Cara didn't have the heart to turn her away.

"What's going on in here?" Cara asked when she entered the living room, her eyes immediately moving towards her husband, who stood on the other side of the room from Rosie, with his arms crossed, his eyebrows furrowed, and his lips set in a scowl.

              "Dylan tried to come on to me!" Rosie wailed, turning towards Cara with eyes wide and tearful, "He wanted me to keep quiet about it, but I just— I couldn't!"

               Cara looked back to Dylan, meeting his wide-eyed gaze. "Get out," she said, curling her hands into fists at her side. Dylan's expression fell, and for a moment he looked so completely heartbroken, like Cara was about to throw him out. But, then, she narrowed her eyes at Rosie. "I'm sorry, didn't you hear me? I said get out. Get out of my house, right now."

              "W-what?" Rosie spluttered, flinching away from Cara like she'd been hit. "What about—?"

              "What about the lie you just tried to sell me?" Cara huffed out a laugh, "Rosie, I know my husband, and I know for a fact that he wouldn't come on to you. He's not an idiot, and he's definitely not a cheater. We've been through a lot together, and you're delusional if you think he's going to ruin it all by trying it on with my Father's spawn. So, please, just get out. We've had enough toxic people trying to worm their way between our relationship, thank you."

---

i hate myself lmao