➳ 66

"So, tell me about this new family of yours."

            "Really? No 'hello', no 'how are the kids?'. Just straight to the point?" Cara asked her cousin, sitting down in the dining chair opposite her, balancing a half-asleep Ollie on her lap.

             "Like I don't already know that the kids are doing fine," Shelley rolled her eyes, "You do remember that I text you every day, right? I'm just— I think concerned would be the right word. I'm a lot older than you, you know— a lot wiser—," Cara snorted, "— and I'm your family. I want to know who these people are and what exactly they think they're doing by barging into your life uninvited."

             "According to Natalia — she's the eldest one, just over a year younger than Luna —, Mr. Mason wants to make amends and have us in his life," Cara sighed, resting her chin atop her son's head. In the other room, Rory laughed at something either Dylan, Castiel, or their dog, Jaffa, did. "But, I don't want that— and neither does Moony. We're okay with having the girls in our life, because they've done nothing wrong, not really— but not to the extent where we call each other sisters and have weekly meals together, where I send pictures of my kids to them just to keep them updated."

            "I understand," she said, smiling weakly, "And you have every right not to want him in your life. He might have had a part in your conception, but that doesn't mean you owe him anything. And I know you've been feeling guilty about this, because you're all about forgiveness and second — sometimes third — chances, but he doesn't deserve one. He broke your heart— he broke your Mom's heart, and your brother's, and your sister's. You need to think about yourself, about how happy you were before all this, without worrying about how long this man is going to be in your life for before he decides to leave again."

            "Who'd have thought that you'd be so supportive?" Cara chuckled weakly, loosening her grip on Ollie has he shuffled from her lap. "I know— you're right, I know. And I don't want him in my life, I don't. I'm still bitter, and it still hurts— and he's ruined me. I wake up most mornings and I have to check that Dylan's still there, that he hasn't left me and the kids for some other life."

               "He'd never do that to you, Cara." Shelley shook her head, reaching across to clasp Cara's hand in her own. "He loves you so much, and the kids. The three of you— you're his whole world, and I know for a fact he'd give everything up just to make you happy, so long as he doesn't have to give you up."

---

there hasn't been enough shelley in this story tbh