Chapter 5

Altair

The demon and I were locked in a frenzied exchange of strikes. Every strike that the demon made was filled with force and power. I parried his brute attacks with my golden sword but it still made me travel backwards. 

When was the last time I had a battle this intense?

Was it during the Great Holy War or was it the time when I was battling the demons Adrammelech and Anammelech? Well, no use remembering those days now. 

The flames that surrounded us grew wilder in every passing moment. The flames roared in time of our exchanges as if we were inside a stadium with people watching. Just outside the pillars made out of flames that surrounds us, I can hear humans outside the fire trying to extinguish it from the outside. 

I have to settle this quickly.

"You dare space out during our combat insolent star? Are you mocking me?" the demon said with a mad tone releasing a powerful swing with the handle of  his spear. Moments before it made contact with my body, I blocked with my sword that made me travel a great distance.

I shook my head trying to get the shock of the impact out of my system. I felt the immense collision of his spear's swing even though I completely blocked it with my sword. The air around us sizzles and shrieks as if scared of the devastating blow. I have to think of a way to defeat him quickly or else I won't be able to block the next assaults since dodging them were also out of the question. His speed along with his strength increased dramatically after his transformation. It was a given that a demon's physical prowess was unmatched, I have to settle this the other way. 

As a being as old as the creation, my experience and age will be my edge in every combat. I remembered the battle of King David with Goliath whose father's blood was of an angel. I was awed by how humans can outwit a creature with divine blood.

"I can't wait to have your heart insolent star. I'll murder you slowly tearing every limb, one by one," he boasted paired with a sickening laugh.

He charged towards me with speed as fast as sound, trails of fire following his path and shoved the handle of his spear to my stomach. The pain was excruciating enough to ruin my balance. I saw the evil glint in the demon's eyes as I began to fall on my knees. He raised his spear, spelling my impending end and his blood lust made my very skin tingle. I reacted swiftly and ordered gravity to pull me backward before the unthinkable happen.

"You're as weak as a rat now! You stand no chance against me so give it up," he said paired with a bragging laugh.

"You know, for a demon you do bark a lot. 'The louder the dog barks, the weaker it is', or so humans say," I replied with a shaky grin trying to find my balance.

I can feel his anger building up as his flurry of spear thrusts continues relentlessly. I remembered the time when I was in my days of glory. How I battle opponents bigger than me for the Creator's name. Sometimes the very thing that makes opponents intimidating can be the source of their greatness weakness. 

His strength was fueled by anger and that power can be overwhelming, making it almost impossible to control. Power out of madness were always hard to control. Angering the demon made his strength doubled. I might be done for if I get hit even for once, but his movements became stiff and too easy to read. It made me dodge his assaults with a little help of gravity.

"I see you're all hat and no cattle," I chuckled as I continue to dodge his assaults. Building the demon's rage was my goal until it started to backfire. 

The demon's blood started to reek of blood lust stronger than before and I saw how his veins started to pump. He spread his black ebony wings and flew up to the sky in a speed of light. He lashed out words that were so ancient sending chills to my spine.