The Return

Chapter Fifteen

"The love of a mother can cure any sadness."

The Earl of Hedeby's pair of ships set sail a day later with the now found Princess of Kattegat as a passenger. Kalf noticed she did not seem as out going as she once did but more quite and fiercely observant even when it appeared she was simple sitting by her lonesome thinking. Kalf knew better. He knew the fierce blood haired beauty was forever taking in details of that which surrounded her even when she would fade out into a deep train of thought as if leaving them all once more behind her.

Daga sat with her back pressed against the edge of the ship she was now wearing a fiery red wrap dress that hugged her frame deliciously. It was definitely not something a typical Norsewoman would wear but then again the Princess was far from typical, the dress was long sleeved with a tight corseted bodice that hugged her frame until it reached the curves of her hips were it loosened and flowed down around her with a large spilt up the left side that allowed her to put nearly her entire left leg on display if she so choose to the dress had large two triangle shapes of fabric missing from either side of the curves of her stomach displaying more pale skin. The shoulders of the dress hung low revealing her shoulder caps and exposing more scared pale skin she paired the dress with bare feet and she wore all of her most meaningful jewelry she had kept safe all these years.

Her armring, her gold bangle, her diamond stud earrings, her large magenta and gold ring, her wolfs head ring with fire opal eyes, her sliver bear claw necklace, her sliver rune necklace along with her gold cross necklace. She also wore a  woven corded bracelet made from thick red and black thread braided securely and tightly together that rested upon her left ankle as well as a small heavy black sleek stone cuff that rested on the cartilage at the top of her right ear.

The young woman looked other worldly and deadly. Her blue eyes flickered around slowly taking each and every detail and filing it away for later. Her mind was louder then it had ever been, she heard the messages floating around her every where she turned or glanced the Gods were speaking to her. Daga was on her feet before she could register what she was doing she found herself at the head of the boat gazing out at the horizon when it finally registered what it was she was seeing, Daga slowly turned her head to meet her adopted father's knowing gaze before she slowly turned back to look at the place she once truly called home. The young warrior couldn't contain her smile.

Kattegat had grown in the Princess' absence.
--------------------------------
Daga stood at the back of the ship as she peeked over the side of the boat as she watched her adopted father speak to her step mother. Queen Aslaug looked lifeless and truly unhappy as she listened intently to Earl Kalf's words before suddenly a spark returned to her beautiful eyes that had long since been snuffed out, Daga went to step out before her breath left her in one fell swoop.

Daga had her long thick hair in a high ponytail before before braided in a single braid with smaller braids done close to her scalp putting her shaved side on full display. Daga gazed with wide eyes at the sight of her father the King Ragnar walking down the way closer to the boats before stopping in front of Kalf and Aslaug.

Ragnar's bald head was entirely covered by paintings his beard was longer and thicker. His vivid Odin blue eyes were startling in appearance and held a cold cruel look to them, he wore a large heavy cloak of what she knew instantly to be wolf's furs and he walked with a long thick craved walking stick.

His skin was slightly off color his eyes had large bruised bags  not quite as rough as her own but rough enough to make one cringe at the sight of them. She noticed the harsh and crude looking burn to the back of his left hand that she focused on discovering that it was self inflicted and went up the sleeve his log tunic beneath his furs.

Daga took a deep breath before sneaking from the boat and heading off into the wood line quickly finding and following the trail she knew all too well.
--------------------------------
Young Ubbe pulled and pulled checking, double checking, and triple checking his knot work with the rope causing his Uncle Floki to roll his eyes at the boy's caution "It is fine! Fine, fine, fine! Do not worry so much boy I've told you you know what your doing do not be so cautious."

Ubbe huff glaring slightly at the older man as he tied another knot securely "I'd rather be cautious and have no need then need be cautious and act like a fool."

Floki swallowed as he stared wide eyed at the young boy hearing the familiarity in his words and tone. Ubbe stopped his work for a second gently putting the rope in his lap before he could say anything he found himself frowning deeply as Floki turned harshly and began to stride rapidly away and into the wood line by the shore.

"Was it something I said?" Ubbe asked sadly turning to face his Aunt Helga who smiled sadly down at him "The older you get the more you remind him so."

"Of mama?" Ubbe asked his voice even sadder as he slowly resumed his work.

"Yes. Do not say it in such a sad way my sweetheart. Your mama is on her way home any day now. Have faith in her and in the ways of the Gods."

Ubbe said no more as he took a deep breath before finishing his roll of rope before and grabbing another.
--------------------------------
Floki kicked out angrily at the large ash tree he grunted and wordlessly snarled before swinging out and punching the tree so hard a large crack formed in the bunk causing it to sling away from the wood of the tree. Floki felt the betraying burn of the tears long before the physical pain was felt, his heart ached more and more with each passing day. He prayed and stayed devoted to the young woman who owned his very soul and to the Gods for he knew their plan for his Queen was grand and glorious.

Floki sat down at the roots of the tree leaning his head against the wood breathing harshly. The sun seemed to shine down brighter upon him blinding him behind closed eyes causing him to open his eyes and his heart to skip a beat. As his eyes focused to the bright light he saw a sight that left him utterly shocked him.

She was even more breath taking then he imagined.

Daga leaned propped up against the tree with her arms crossed over her chest as she gazed amusedly down at his splayed form resting upon the roots of the large tree. No words were spoken for the longest time as the duo stared intently into one another's eyes.

"What did that tree ever do to you? Sassa isn't gonna like the fact you hurt the bark." Daga jested at the older man who scrambled up before launching himself towards her and lifting her into the air.

Daga said nothing more as he sobbed unintelligible gibberish while grasping her so tightly to him one would think he wanted to harm her "There there my precious Carpenter there's no need for that. Calm yourself my love."

"I knew. I knew you'd be back."

"Come, I wish to see my son." Daga grabbed ahold of the Carpenter's hand and interlocked their fingers before walking back along the trail.

Ubbe heard his Aunt gasp harshly causing him to rush to her side noticing she had dropped a basket of materials upon the sand and was gazing intently towards the wood line. Ubbe followed her tear stained gaze only to set sights upon his Uncle walking hand and hand beside a woman dressed in red with a head of blood colored hair he would know anywhere.

Ubbe inhaled a prickling sharp breath, his mother was finally home.