The Real Enemy

~"The future is unpredictable even for those who see it through the eyes of the Gods, it's ever changing and things that may seem fixed to happen may not just as something one couldn't have fathomed to happen just might. The world changes as the future does but one thing remains the same, there will always be those who believe themselves capable of controlling both and sometimes amongst all those nay sayers there are a select few who truly are capable of bending that which is around them to their will."~

Two weeks later the Lothbrok family was relatively civil and calm around one another. Ragnar apologized individually to Aslaug as well as each of his sons and they all were on a tolerating page with one another being able to live next to each other in relative peacefulness. Sigurd and Hvitserk had been heart broken when they discovered a good chunk of their money and expensive belongings gone as was the slave girl they were so fond of but when the news was delivered there was one who was not fooled Ivar locked eyes with his sister and he knew she had spared him further horror in the eyes of the people their family ruled. He found himself feeling even more strongly for the powerful woman. Lagertha left alone back to Hedeby after Ragnar explained he had no use of her offer but thanked her none the less heartbroken the blonde warrior went back to once she came.

Bjorn and Daga began their preparations and although it saddened her Daga saw off her daughter and adopted daughter back to their travels to heal the wounded and tend to the sick. Ragnar so desperate still to travel once more to England gave his hoard away to a bunch of nobodies from the city who in turn agreed to travel with him to England, none of his children would accompany him except one.

"I wish to go with you." Ivar spoke by way of greeting his father who he found in the empty Smithy's shop sharpening his sword with the greatest of care.

Ragnar slowly stopped his work and sat it down to give his full attention to his youngest child "Your mother would have my head."

Ivar smirked mischievously "If you are judging by the number of heads taken I am afraid you would find my sister the one who would claim yours for allowing such a thing."
Ragnar rolled his eyes heavily but smirked in amusement knowing the truth in his son's words "Yes I dare say you are right."

Ivar sobered up once more getting serious "The people of the city believe me a worthless cripple and I can not live my life proving them right, they do not say it out loud for they know Daga will end them or worse ruin their lives and watch them suffer for fun. They fear me but not enough to respect me because of my legs."

Ragnar crouched down to his son's eye level "You want respect?"

"Every one wants respect and greatness and if they tell you other wise they are liars. I wish to achieve my own greatness as my father, older sister and older brother before me."

"You hold a great affection and respect for your  sister.." Ragnar spoke curiously.

"Aslaug was a wonderful mother but she did not know how to handle me best, my physical pain was too great and my anger too dangerous. Daga never treated me differently. Not once. She loved me and taught me and gave me the tools to build courage and bravery and intelligence, she taught me that just because I could not walk did not mean I could not be powerful. She taught me my mind was my greatest weapon and I had to learn to wield it in order to show those around me that I was worthy of respect and fear."

Ragnar smiled softly at his son his eyes sad "She predicted your birth you know? She did not tell us of your disability until we saw it for ourselves. I took you from your mother and I walked you out into the woods and was prepared to slit your throat with my axe, to put you out of your misery and spare you the pain I knew you would come to live. I could not do it so I left you, Daga had followed me she knew I wouldn't be able to do it so she took you into her arms and brought you home. She told me you were the one of my sons who was destined to one day rise as a King."