17.

Emily

I sit in my chair and I look at the shirt I was planning on wearing. I toss it behind me and I groan. Why am I stressing over this? I need to chill. Making sure my blinds are closed, I pull off my clothes and I stand in front of my dresser. I take out a black tank top, a black and blue flannel and a pair black shorts. I slip them on and I sigh at how short they actually are as I examine my butt in the mirror.

Besides putting on my shoes, this was all I needed to do. I didn't need to spend hours on my hair or makeup, making myself look like a model or someone I'm not.

Calum:
Are you ready?

Emily:
I guess.

Calum:
???It doesn't take you twenty years to get ready??? R U OK??? You're a chick, right?

I chuckle and I put on my black vans and I stick my phone in my pocket, sliding down the banister and then skipping to the door. I pull it open and he is lazily leaning against the wall. He wears a black shirt with the sleeves pushed up and black jeans to match. He has a beanie on his head and he stands up straight when he sees me.

"Ready?" I ask him, suddenly nervous about the whole thing. It comes out a near whisper and he smirks.

"Nervous, sweetheart?" He asks me and I shrug.

"Let's get this done, shall we?" I say.

***

"Why here?" I ask him as the waitress sets the platter of pizza down.

"Is this the only thing you eat?" He asks me and I smile, nodding. "Same though, I was just wondering." He says. "And I figured why not?"

"Who'd you call? I don't think you'd be this creative." I say.

"Ouch, Em, what makes you think I called anyone?" He asks, crossing his arms and frowning.

"C'mon, Cal. I haven't known you my whole life. But I am not stupid." I say and he just chuckles.

"Ashton." He says and I smile.

"I figured. So, why are we here? Some sort of test to get me to buy you condoms?" I tease him and pick a pepperoni off my pizza and pop it in my mouth, deciding to eat them first.

He takes a small sip of his drink and his eyebrows knit. "Because I'm an asshole, and because I... " He trails off and I can't hear him.

"What?" I ask. He mumbles again and I groan. ''Calum, tell me." I say and he frowns deeply.

"Because I like you, okay?" He says lowly, keeping his eyes away from mine and I feel my face flare up at his words. "Don't think too much about it." He says and blushes, too.

"Okay." I say, nodding slowly. He leans back and grows the lazy smile that has slowly been driving me crazy this past week. He puts both of his arms on the back off the booth.

"Tell me about your grandma. I never hear about her. I know she lives there." He says and I shrug.

"There isn't much to tell, really." I say and brush a strand of dark hair behind my ear.

"Is she, like, you know... Okay?'' He asks, trying to ask without seeming rude or upsetting me.

"Uh, she has dementia and depression." I say, not feeling right saying it out loud. "After Pop died, she fell into depression, and dementia came naturally with age."