41.

I pull up the address Ashton sent me and I walk up the sidewalk. The first thing I hear is Michael's very distinct voice in a mixture of screaming and singing. Usually this wouldn't sound bad, but when he is singing the theme song to Sesame Street, not so much. i found it crazy how people could enjoy all the chaos ensuing around them.

I find them leaning on the side of the house laughing like morons, but no Ashton. "Oh, Emily, what a relief it is to see you." Luke says and stumbles over, hugging my head in the crook of his arm.

"What's up with you guys?" I ask.

Michael goes to speak but Luke stops him and he reroutes him. "Luke is a free bird now! Not allowed to say her name, he said not... not do it." Michael says. I didn't know much about Melody, but I secretly hoped she was beating herself up about losing a great guy like Luke.

"To the car!" Luke screams and they all take off running and I sigh. "To McDonald's and french fries!" He screams again and I can't but laugh this time.

I make sure they all get in the car and I go back to look for Ashton. "Ash!" I yell over the music and I see him sitting on the stairs. I walk over to him and he looks up. He stands and nearly falls and I grab his arm. "Ready, drunkard?" I ask him and he rolls his eyes.

"Harhar." He says and I put his arm around my shoulders and we push through the people. "Ugh, I'm gonna vomit." He says and let's go off me and then I look away as he throws up in the bushes.

"You better?" I ask him as he holds onto me again, nodding. "Taking it a lot worse than they are, Ash?"

"Oh yeah." He says. "I love you, you're a pretty great friend. I'm glad you're here." He says and I smile.

"I love you, too." Halfway to the car, I hear my name and I turn around.

"Who's this?" I roll my eyes, seeing Missy standing there. "You're other boyfriend?"

"You'd know all about other boyfriends, wouldn't you?" I say to her with a smile. "C'mon, Ash."

"A lovely picture it puts off. Both of you holding each other like that. I'm sure Calum would just love that. Or Lily, maybe." She says and Ashton looks at her and glares.

"What's your problem?" I ask her. I knew neither Calum or Lily would care.

"You're my problem," She says and crosses her arms. "He was mine first, you can't just waltz in like this. I made him everything he is."

"Why don't you leave them alone, Missy?" Charlie appears behind her and stands beside her. "Ruined enough things today, haven't you? Come back in and shut up." He says and she stiffens and I couldn't be more grateful. He nods for me to go and I go to help Ashton, but he pulls away from me and slowly walks to the car quietly. I don't say anything as I get in the driver seat. 

The three boys crammed in the back are still laughing and Ashton snaps. "Would you guys shut the fuck up?" He shouts and they all quiet down. "Take me home." He says harshly to me and I flinch.

"I thought we were going to Emily's?" Lyle asks him, leaning up front he back.

"I don't give a fuck what you guys do. I want to go home, okay?" He looks over at me and I nod, not knowing what to do anymore. It was rare, very rare to see Ashton like this but I knew from experience not to argue.

At his house, I stop and look over at him. He has his hand on the handle and I speak before he opens the door. "Are you okay, Ash?" I ask him and he opens the door.

"Just... shut up, okay? It would be better for everyone if you just shut up." He says. His tone is low and his eyes burn into mine as he slams the door and I grip the steering wheel tightly.

"Em?" Michael asks from the back but I keep quiet and I speed down the street. At my house, I get out and stick the keys in my sweat pants pockets and cross my arms, waiting for them to get out.

"Hey, guys. What's up?" I look over and see Calum leaning on the fence and I walk over and hug him and I burst into tears. "Whoa, babe, what's the matter with you?" He asks me and I shake my head, not really able to talk. I don't know what it is, maybe the fact that Ashton has never spoken like that before. Or the emotions running high enough already mixed in with Missy and Charlie that's makes me want to die.

"Ashton was mean to her." Lyle says. "Never heard him be that way before, like he turned into Satan and just ripped all our throats out and shit down our-"

"Okay, I think he gets it. We gonna go sleep inside somewhere." He says. They are all equally drunk and I don't know how they have such good balance as they sprint in my house.

"Are you okay?" Calum asks me and kisses my nose. I nod my head and he smiles softly. "Wanna stay over? I think might have anything you need."

"Is she there?" I ask him.

"Uh, a little bit." He says and laughs. "She just finished painting the kitchen." He says, he wipes a few tears away from my eyes and I feel myself blush.

"Why is she painting the kitchen at midnight?" I ask him and he takes my hand and leads me to his house. 

"She started around nine, but it took three hours. She wanted it to be perfect. I was throwing thing in the dumpster and she went to bed, so you're safe." He says. "Now, why is Ashton going to get his ass kicked tomorrow?" He asks me.

"Why would he?"

"Because he made my baby cry and it makes me mad." He says and opens the door, pressing a finger to his lips. We quickly run to his room and he locks the door behind us.

"I'm fine. He just got mad over nothing. I'm actually not sure what." I say and shrug. I fall into my stomach in his bed and sigh.

"And that gives him a right to make you cry?" He asks and pokes my butt. "No, it does not. And don't think I'm not gonna say something about it."

"Baby, please don't." I say and roll onto my back and he crawls over me and leans down.

"Too late," He says and kisses me quickly. "It's happening."

"Fine, but I don't want to be there when it happens or I'll feel bad." I say. I roll onto my side and sigh. I was exhausted for some odd reason. I didn't have any reason to be.

"Go to sleep, babe. I'll be back." He goes for his door and I frown.

"Where are you going?"

"To your house. You have three drunk guys roaming around and you'll need things for tomorrow." He says and I smile brightly.

"I love you, Calum, you're so sweet." I say and he smiles, shaking his head.

"Love you, too." He says and shuts his door.