9|Secret

"Blueberries or chocolate chips?" Michael asked referring to what flavor of pancakes Lauren wanted.

Lauren didn't respond and instead played with her tiny hands.

"I want my mommy" She said sadly.

Michael sighed. He knew his decision wasn't the best but he wanted to spend as much time as possible with his little girl and he knew Marissa would not allow that. He had to bring in the law to get his way.

"What's your daddy's name?" He asked changing the subject.
"Lincoln" She replied.

Michael nodded.

He did not yet know how he'll break the news to her that HE is her father. It also pained Michael to know Lauren claimed Lincoln as her father.

"Now, what type of pancakes do you want?" Michael asked.
"Blueberry" Lauren said.

Michael sat and watched as Lauren struggled to pick up the pancake with a fork and smiled at the cuteness. Her nose and cheeks had light freckles on them just like her mother and her hair was wavy and short. Her hazel eyes turned green as the sun from the window shun threw it. There was nothing on her body that he shared with her, or at least he thought.

"Do you like my mommy?" Lauren said out of nowhere.
"Very much" Michael nodded. "Why?"
"You look at her funny" She giggled.

Michael looked down at the table and smile.

"Can I tell you a secret?" Michael asked.

Lauren gave him a big smile and nodded her head quickly, she loved secrets.

"I love your mommy."

--
Marissa was driving 10 over the speed limit as she raced to see her child. She knows Michael would never harm her but she just really needed to see her. Last night was so lonely. Marissa was so used to the routine her and Lauren had. She would feed her, bathe, her, comb her hair, and then read her a bedtime story while she falls asleep.

"Mommy!" Lauren exclaimed as soon as she saw her.
"Hi baby"

Marissa kneeled down for Lauren to attack her with a big hug.

Michael stayed behind them and watched the scene.

"Today is Saturday" Michael reminded her.
"I know what day it is" Marissa rebuttled.

Michael averted his gaze from Marissa and down to Lauren.

"Sweety, can you go play with your dollies in your room please?" Michael asked gently.

Lauren nodded and ran away towards her room.

"We had a contract" Michael said sternly as he walked towards the living room with Marissa following behind him.
"I don't care. I am her mother and I have the right to see her when I want to" Marissa exclaimed.
"And I'm her father. You hid her from me for four years Mari, if I never asked for that DNA test you would never tell me the truth"
"Because I was afraid something like this would happen!" She yelled. "My biggest fear was you taking her away from me and that's exactly what you did!"
"I'm just making up for lost time. The contract can be voided at any time and I'm the one to say when. This is not permanent"

Michael sighed as he looked at how hurt Marissa was. Her light eyes were darker and filled with saddness, tears were threatening to come out and as much as she tried to hide them Michael knew they were there.

He felt guilty.

"I'll let it slide this ONE time. I don't want you at my doorstep next Saturday" He said calmly.

Marissa looked shocked. Michael was actually allowing her to stay. This was a side of him that was only apparent in the time when they were together.

"Thank you" Marissa said softly staring into his blue eyes.

He nodded.

"Lauren is always asking for you. She really loves you" Michael confessed.

Marissa smiled at the ground.

"She is my daughter" She reminded him.
"I know, and that's the reason I'm doing all of this. One day, I want her to say I want my daddy and refer to me not Lincoln"

Marissa swallowed.

"It's going to take time for her to understand the situation and to accept you" She answered.
"I know, and however long it takes is however long the contract will be for"

--
It was almost ten o'clock at night. Marissa watched as Michael read Lauren a bedtime story.

Lauren was curled up in bed slowly closing her eyes before she fell asleep. Michael finished reading the page before he kissed her forehead softly.

"I never thought I could love someone as much as I love her" Michael whispered.

Marissa nodded in agreement. She watched as Michael put away the book and turned off the lights after stealing one last glance at his little girl.

"I need to show you something" Michael spoke.

The pair walked into Michael's bedroom and Marissa sat on the bed waiting for whatever Michael had planned.

She swallowed hard as she saw the box that ruined her marriage.

"I've already seen them" She told him.
"I-i know" He replied looking into the box ashamed. "I have to tell you the truth"

Marissa stood up.

"I don't want to hear it" She spoke.
"My mother threatened to take your mother off of life support if I didn't do this" Michael said quickly.

Marissa froze in her spot before slowly turning around. She could hear the pounding of her heart.

"What?" She said breathlessly.
"I did it to save your mother" He confessed.
"There were so many things you could of done. That was a clear threat, you could of contacted the authorities!"
"You know my mother has connections, we would never win"
"You could of told me Michael! You think you did me a favor but you still cheated on me with 12 women! We made a promise to be faithful and you broke it."
"I know" he said softly. "I thought I was doing the right thing"

Marissa scoffed.

"Imagine me in bed with 12 men and then 4 years later I tell you it was because of a threat"

At that Michael's eyes turned dark and cold his jaw clenched and his hands were now turned into fists.

"Why would you say that?" Michael asked grabbing Marissa's chin harshly to make her look at him.
"It's what you did"

At those words Michael swallowed and released her.

"I'm sorry." He said softly hoping for sympathy.
"You should be"