16|Headline

"Good morning officer" Claire smiled flirtatiously at the sheriff in charge of Marissa's car accident case. "Hope you like muffins" 

The sheriff immediately closed the door to his office and reached for a muffin Claire was holding.

"My team went out this morning and planted some of Michael's DNA around the scene of the crime. Forensics is processing it right now" The sheriff, Ryan, began. "You do know your son can face up to ten years for this right?" 

"Of course I do." Claire chuckled. "It'll make a great headline. Then all I have to do is start a GoFundMe account to help with my emotional damage" She laughed. 

Ryan couldn't quite understand how a mother could frame her own child but the $20,000 he was offered for this prohibited him from asking questions. 

Claire had her plan all figured out. By framing Michael, their names would be in every news article worldwide and the big bucks would go towards her. When the hype finally dies down, "new evidence" would point to someone else, thus, establishing his innocence.

"Chop, chop, there's still lots of work to do" she ushered.

Back home, Michael received footage of the hit and run. For the past night, he's been deciphering who the driver was but the pixelated image hindered an answer.

His blue eyes were barely noticeable over his swollen eye bags. His face was wet from the tears that fell when he watched his daughter being carried away by an unidentifiable person.

What hurt even more was watching the person look down at Marissa who was squished under the car and doing nothing to help her. Retrieving Lauren was clearly the objective here.

The person wore a black mask, a black coat, black pants, and leather gloves. The hair was also not visible under the black beanie. There was no possible lead as to who it could have been.

"Sir, your mother's here" Michael's PI announced, walking into his office.
"Bring her in" He replied.

Michael quickly closed his computer and removed the finished bottle of whiskey that sat on his desk.

"Oh dear" Claire cried out as she ran to hug her son.

She could see how distressed he had become.

"I heard what happened" She said remorsefully. "I'm so sorry"

Michael nodded.

"I came by to tell you that I'm here to help find out who did all of this" Claire began. "I know I haven't been the greatest mother and I know how much they mean to you. I'm here to help you"

Michael laid back on his chair.

"Why the sudden change of heart?" He asked.
"The sheriff showed me the video. What they did was cruel Michael, they didn't deserve that" Claire took a seat across from Michael and stared directly into his eyes.

"I want to find whoever did this to your family Michael" She said almost sincerely.

Michael nodded.

"Alright" he said.

Claire smiled. "Thank you. What do you know so far"

"I just have the video you mentioned, nothing else" He said rubbing his forehead as he recalled the scenes present in his mind.
"We can head down to the sheriff's office tomorrow, Ryan has been very helpful to me in the past. I'm sure he can gives us something" Claire said.

He nodded while taking out his phone to send a text to his PI.

"I really appreciate your help mother. I really do"

Investigate any transactions my mother has made.

--
Authors Note

Half a million views. That is so crazy!!! Thank you to my active readers so much for your love and support. Can't express how thankful I am for all of you. Also, I just made a Twitter (I'm behind, I'm sorry) you can find it on my profile. Send me anything or let's just chat! (Hoping for cute dog gifs and such)