X ✧ Marked

So in case there is a lot of confusion later on in the story, I changed the number of Dream Reapers from fifty to ninety million. I know, drastic change, but I figured that since they've been around for thousands of years - since humans first existed - then obviously they have a fairly large number.

Hope you like it. :)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Ten

The next morning, when Elijah came down the stairs and to the main foyer, he was met by Vanessa. She was instructing a servant to prepare for "the doors" to be opened at eight o'clock that night. The servant hurried off, glancing up at Elijah with slightly nervous eyes before rushing down the hallway.

Vanessa turned to him, and plastered on a fake smile. "Ah, Mr. Mikaelson. I trust you slept well?"

Elijah blinked a few times, then narrowed his eyes. "Yes. I did. And you?"

She smiled a little wider. "I did, thank you."

"Where, if I may ask, has Avarice gone?"

Her smile fell, only for a moment, before she returned it as quickly as it had gone. "She has gone out for a little while. Not to worry, she will be back later tonight."

"Yes..." he hummed. "Eight o'clock, if I heard correctly?"

He saw the corners of her lips twitch a little. She clearly hadn't thought that anyone had heard her. "Yes, sir. Eight o'clock."

He nodded to her, then started heading to the dining room.

Avarice was hiding something. He wondered what it was, but decided that he had no right to question her. They were still living because of her; the only thing they needed to do was show their gratefulness.

Aspin and Levi did not join them for breakfast. When Rebekah asked Vanessa why, she explained that they didn't actually live with Avarice, but that they did spend a large amount of time there. When his siblings questioned where Avarice was, he told them that he had been informed that she would return later on.

Two mornings the Mikaelson's had been in the castle, and two mornings Avarice had not joined them.

Even though he knew it was not his right to ask, he still wanted to know. What exactly was their saviour hiding from them?

*

When Avarice knocked on the door, she knew that Hayley would be very surprised. After all, Avarice had cloaked the house completely. No one could see it unless they were Avarice, Mary, Hope, or Hayley. And Avarice wasn't supposed to come back yet.

"Avarice," Hayley said, blinking a few times before pulling the door open all the way to let her in. "I thought you weren't coming back for another week. Didn't you say you could only come once a week?"

She smiled a little."Ah, I said I wouldn't be. I never said I couldn't come back."

"So, why the change of mind, then?" she asked, shutting the door.