XXIX ✧ Family

"I'm not gonna update for a few days"

HAH

Look how long that one lasted

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Twenty-Nine

They were still in each other's arms on the balcony when Levi knocked at the door. They had not pulled apart, and even when they heard Levi speak, they were too focused on each other and what they had just done to really pay attention.

"What was that, Levi?" Avarice called out, blinking rapidly as she tore her eyes away from Elijah's.

Levi groaned, then repeated what he had said a second time. "I said, Avarice, I really don't want to bother you, but Kaige is here. He refuses to leave until he sees you. I left him by the front door, but knowing him, he's wandering the damn castle by now."

Her demeanour changed almost immediately. She went from surprised in a pleasant way to being surprised in the most angered way possible.

"My apologies, Elijah. I'll be back soon."

She didn't look at him at all. Avarice was fairly sure that if she did, he would see just how red her cheeks were becoming. She left him, and her room, and went out into the hallway. Levi was waiting for her, and when he saw Elijah standing near the balcony, he raised a brow at Avarice. He knew that she likely did not want to talk about, so he didn't ask, and she didn't tell him a thing.

She met Kaige standing in the hallway. Where he was, however, made her a little more than angry.

"You are not supposed to be near this room."

He turned and raised a brow a there. "Oh? And why is that?"

"You know why."

She grabbed his arm and practically dragged him from the door, going down the hallway and taking him into the study.

"Why should I not get to see them as well?" he asked, and she was shocked that he actually did ask that.

"How dare you have the audacity to ask such a thing!" she suddenly shouted at him.

He laughed at her reaction. "Interesting. A few nights ago, I could have sworn we were making progress."

"Perhaps I would have found it in myself to hate you less if you did not feel the need to come to my home without invitation."

"Well, perhaps I wanted to have a nice and civil conversation with you, my lovely little Avarice," he smiled smugly, taking a seat on the couch in front of her.

"Don't you dare call me that, Kaige," she said, sitting down across from him. A coffee table separated the couch and her chair, but she was more than willing to throw it from sight if she felt the need to hurt him. "Having a civil conversation with you is next to impossible."

"And why is that?"

"Because I feel the constant desire to tear your head from your shoulders," she said with a clenched jaw.

"Well that's rather violent," he stated, a slight smirk forming on his lips.

She narrowed her eyes at him. Kaige had been playing nice the night of the ball. He had stayed calm and collected, but now he was showing his true colours. He was impulsive and smug, which is why being near him was that much more difficult.