XXXII ✧ Safety

is there a rehab centre for being addicted to updating a story every day???

no???

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Thirty-Two

"You do not have to stay, Elijah," she assured him, sitting up on the bed.

Her entire body was stiff, but she was determined to make it to the library on her own. Even so, Elijah was equally determined to not leave her.

"Nonsense," he said, coming out of the bathroom fully dressed in new clothes that Vanessa had brought him. He slipped on the suit jacket, looking down at her as he adjusted his cuffs. "I merely wish to make sure you do not cause harm to yourself again."

"I really am all right," she argued.

"Apologies, my dear, but I am not leaving you alone after the events of this past week."

Avarice cringed. It had been a week since she developed the fever, and she had only just gotten rid of it. That was six days of vulnerability that she detested showing.

"I need to research some more. You may come with me if you wish," she sighed, giving in.

He nodded, then held out a hand. She took it and he helped her to stand, but walking steadily was another matter entirely. Her legs ached for a moment, but then they felt numb. Seeing her uncertainty, he bent his arm and held it out to her. She gave him a grateful smile before hooking her arm over his elbow, and they left her room together. They walked as if they were taking a leisurely stroll throughout the castle, and it was nice for Avarice. It was calm, something that she rarely felt.

"Why, look at the happy couple!" Klaus said cheerfully after coming around the corner, a grin on his face. Kol followed right after him, but unlike his brother, he was just smirking.

"Brother, could you perhaps take this time to, for once, silence that infernal mouth of yours?" Elijah asked with a sigh.

"Come now, 'Lijah! Teasing my siblings is one of the few joys I find in life."

"Speaking of joy, when shall we be expecting the wedding to be?" Kol added with a smug look. "Spring, Summer, Autumn, or Winter?"

Elijah rolled his eyes as they passed his brothers, who were both chuckling. Avarice kept her lips tight together in an effort to keep herself from snickering. Klaus and Kol certainly didn't allow their lives to be a bore.