XLIV ✧ Hope's Secrets

MINI HOPE IS SO FUCKIN CUTE

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Fourty-Four

The months following consisted of the Mikaelson's having a target on their backs. They would nearly be attacked, Avarice would get to the attackers before they knew what was happening, and the Mikaelson's would realize that there was never any danger thanks to their secret protector.

Over those months, Avarice rid the world of many different enemies of Klaus'. After a while, the number of people willing to go after Klaus began to dwindle.

Likely because Avarice killed them all.

That night was All Hallow's Eve, or Halloween as the people of modern days preferred to call it.

Avarice remembered when All Hallow's Eve had been created. Or, at least, a version of it. It had changed greatly from when it had been made two millennia ago. Halloween was thought to be related to the Celtic festival of Samhain, where people would light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off the roaming ghosts of their lands. November 1st was the beginning of their new year, so for the Celts, All Hallow's Eve was the equivalent to the modern day New Years Eve.

And tonight, for the first time in centuries, she was in the mortal world for Halloween. She decided to get some fun into it as well, and found that she was one of the many people in Toronto that wore a costume.

She was dressed as a casket girl. Her dress was white and mostly lace, and she wore a black mask that covered the area around her eyes well enough that she was unrecognizable. Of course, other than the necklace she wore.

She had taken a seat on a bench at the edge of the park, her fingers grazing along the thorn-like chain to touch the diamond pendant. She remembered how it felt when he had put it on her. She felt herself shiver at the memory of his skin on hers. He had been cold, just like her, and yet when he touched her... It felt as if her skin was on fire and that she was too content to even care.

Of course, her time in Toronto that night was not merely to remember fond memories or to dress up. It was to keep an eye on Hope.

She knew for sure that there was no way Klaus would let his lovely daughter miss out on the traditional Halloween. He certainly wouldn't miss the chance to scare the unsuspecting home owners into giving Hope their entire bowl of candy.

Hope, Klaus, and Hayley were standing a few feet away, watching a free concert that was being held in the park that night. At that point, Avarice was only hoping that she would not be recognized. Hopefully her mask would be effective.

Hope had grown so much. It was very possible that her growth was slightly accelerated, thus why she spoke and learned things so quickly. She was independent, too. She didn't like to hold her parent's hands.

She was beautiful, just like her mother. Her hair was turning a darker colour with each day that passed, becoming more auburn than blonde or brown like Klaus and Hayley's. It was an interesting colour on the child but a captivating one. Her eyes were a bright and wildly pale blue, just like her father's.

She was wearing a witch's costume, and it was rather fitting considering what she was. That, and it was adorable on her.

Before she could stop herself, Avarice said her name. She immediately felt her heart racing, and she prayed silently that Klaus and Hayley hadn't heard it. To her relief, it seemed that they hadn't.

Hope, however, had.

Avarice did not know how she had heard her, but Hope turned her head and looked around. Then, her eyes landed straight on Avarice. With that, she looked up at her parents, then snuck away silently before skipping on over to Avarice.

She jumped up onto the bench, and Avarice simply stared down at her in surprise.

"Why'd you call me?" Hope asked.

Avarice blinked. "No reason... What's your name?"

She couldn't think of anything else to say, but the bright smile that Hope gave was assurance that it was the best thing to say.

"I'm Hope," she replied. "What's yours?"

She just smiled. "I don't think I'll be telling you that quite yet, my dear."

Hope frowned, then looked back at her parents. Avarice did the same.

"I used to know your father," she said. "A long time ago."

"My daddy just came back," Hope beamed.

Avarice nodded in reply. "I know. I helped bring him back, but don't tell him that, okay?"

Hope giggled and nodded. "I like secrets. What's your name?"

Avarice couldn't help but smirk. Hope appeared to be the type to ask the same question over and over until she received an answer.

"My name is Avarice. But that will be our little secret, okay?" she said, her smile slowly fading. "Don't tell your parents who I am."

"Why?"

"It's for the best, kiddo. You'll understand some day."

"Why do big people say that a lot?"

"Because we all figure out the worst things with time," Avarice said with a sigh. "I hope you never do though, my dear. Truly."

Hope blinked, but then nodded. She was quiet for a long time before she spoke again. "Are you bad?"

Her tone was not accusatory, but instead, was full of curiosity. It caught Avarice off guard for a moment, but then she gave the child a soft smile.

"Your parents need not worry about me, nor my intentions. I am here to help them. But that's our little secret, okay?"

Hope grinned. "You like secrets too, don't you?"

Avarice gave her a soft, and yet saddened smile. "I do today."

She looked up, only to see Klaus and Hayley both staring at her. She saw Klaus' eyes shift to their hybrid yellow before they began to stalk over to Avarice and Hope. And before their eyes, Avarice vanished into thin air.

She went to the other side of the park, but could still see and hear them.

"Who was that you were talking to?" Klaus asked, kneeling down in front of Hope and putting his hands on her shoulders gently.

Hope just giggled.

"Hope, honey, you need to tell us," Hayley said, bending over to look eye-to-eye with her daughter.

"I can't tell you. She said it's a secret."

Klaus and Hayley both looked at each other with concerned expressions, then looked around the park, trying to locate Avarice. She ducked behind the tree, then a few moments later, looked around it to see Hayley and Klaus walking away with each of Hope's hands in theirs.

Hope turned back to look in Avarice's direction, and spotted her. She gave her an over-exaggerated wink, then skipped off with her parents.

Avarice prayed that Hope liked secrets enough to be able to keep hers.