XXXVI ✧ Gods

Chapter Thirty-Six

She set her glass down on the coffee table and stood, while he himself poured a drink and attempted - while simultaneously failing miserably - to not seem concerned at the stranger in his living room. He was standing at the far wall, the one closest to the door. He was that uncertain.

She moved closer to him, seeing his wary expression that he had replaced with a smug look.

"I remember you," he said, holding the glass in his hand. "You were hangin' around a few months ago, right?"

She smiled. "Yes, I was. Do you remember what I said?"

"That if you ever came back, it would be for my head..." he hummed, a smirk forming. "Did you come back to collect?"

Her smile faded, and it was replaced by a stoic look. He was underestimating her, and that was the latest of his many mistakes. "Did you not think I was serious, Marcellus?"

He looked at her as if he knew something she did not. "By all means, try. See how it goes."

He was cocky. She rather liked that. It gave her an excuse to teach him a lesson.

He could do nothing but watch as she vanished into a cloud of black dust before his eyes, only to materialize right in front of him. His eyes widened ever so slightly, and before he could question her, she had sent her hand at the centre of his chest. Just like that, he was thrown across the room and crashed through the door that led to his bathroom.

She heard him growl, and watched while he stalked out of the room with anger flaring throughout him. His eyes had turned red, and he had his fangs out.

They fought for a while, though she wasn't entirely sure if it could be called "fighting" when all she was doing was stopping a raging bull from charging at her. It was rather easy. One punch to the face and he was on the floor. One kick to the stomach and he hit the wall. Even so, he was determined, and he was almost entirely invincible.

"I grow tired of this game," she said when he stood from the ground, now covered in the dust from the plaster of his walls.

"I don't," he hissed, and she saw the rage.

He bolted at her, and she sent the back of her hand at his face. He caught her wrist, as she had suspected he would.

Marcellus stared at her in silence for a moment, a dangerous look in his eyes. Then, with a wicked grin that mirrored the one she had made at him only a few minutes before, he sank his teeth into her wrist.

It stung, but only for a moment. She didn't make a sound, and when he took his fangs from her skin with a surprised expression, she only smiled. She gestured back to her wrist, and he slowly looked down at it.

The wound had healed entirely in a matter of seconds.

"I'm sorry," she hummed with a grin. "Was that supposed to hurt?"

With only a few swift movements - too swift for even him to see - she had him against the wall. She held him more than a foot off the ground, her hand wrapped around his neck and his hands clawing at hers in an attempt to get her to stop choking him. She, of course, did not let go.

"What the hell are you?" he wheezed out.

She couldn't help but smile. Kaige's words lingered in her mind, and for once, she believed them.

"I'm a God, darling. I rule over your world, and I am even more monstrous than you. Tell me, are you the Beast, or am I?" she asked, though she did not expect an answer.

She pressed harder, the smile slowly fading.

"Now, Mr. Gerard, I came here for a reason. I came to tell you that your men will leave Hayley Marshall alone. That, or I will annihilate you all. Is that understandable?"

Marcel's eyes widened even more. "It-It was you! K-Klaus!"

"Indeed, I am the one who took Klaus' body. He and the rest of his family are hidden where you will never find them. But for now, I would prefer to focus on Hayley and Hope. Tell me, why did you feel the need to go after them?"

He didn't answer her, which she was all right with. She just squeezed harder.

"S-She wouldn't have stopped!" he shouted desperately.

Avarice rolled her eyes, and dropped Marcel. He dropped to all fours in front of her while he caught his breath.

"What wouldn't she have stopped?"

"Looking for their cures," he groaned. "She would have found a way. I know she would have. You don't know Hayley like I do."

"Actually, I know her far better than you do, my dear Little Warrior," she informed him. "Though, do not get these things confused. You and I are not the same."

"Really?" he asked, still panting. He lifted his head to look up at her, then sat back on his knees. "Don't you know that they're gonna hurt you? They always do. That's all that family does is hurt people. They burn everything they touch."

"Oh? I have not yet been singed, Marcellus."

"Maybe you're too strong for them to hurt," he said. "Yet."

She smirked. "Maybe I am. Though, you wouldn't ever know, would you? You know nothing of me, Marcellus, except that I would beat you to death without a second thought. Either way, you will be leaving Hayley Marshall alone. Or, I will be coming back to hunt you down. Do you want that, Marcel?"

He didn't answer.

"No, I didn't think so."

She turned and left the penthouse, smirking even more when she stepped over the splintered doors.

*

"He will not be bothering you anymore," she said, sitting back in the living room chair. "Marcel Gerard knows what will happen if he sends anyone after you again."

Hayley seemed a little doubtful, but nodded and thanked her anyway. "Aspin left a while ago, by the way."

They stayed in an uncomfortable silence for a little while, before Hayley finally spoke again.

"Avarice, are you all right? I mean, after..."

Avarice gave her a soft smile. "No, Hayley."

Hayley's hopeful expression disappeared, and Avarice looked out the window.

"But I will be."