XXXI ✧ Good Things

Throws chapter to hungry tiger-readers

YOU GET TO SEE ELIJAH CALL HER DARLING

SO DON'T BE GREEDY

THAT'S ALL YOU GET FOR TODAY

Runs

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Thirty-One

It felt like years had passed before Avarice finally did awaken fully. She wasn't quite aware for a while, but the first thing brought to her attention was that Elijah Mikaelson was holding her.

She knew that she had had a fever earlier. She did not really remember very much about what had happened after she had forced Kaige out of her home, One thing that she knew for sure was that she probably acted ridiculous in front of them. She knew that she likely begged for cold, and they knew what she needed. It made her face flush.

She didn't like the idea of being taken care of. She looked after everyone else. It was her job, and it was what she did.

The more she thought about it, Avarice knew that she did not just dislike the idea of being taken care of. She disliked the idea of being so vulnerable that she had to be taken care of.

"I am glad you're all right," Elijah said.

She felt the vibrations of his chest when he spoke, and then she realized that his chest was bare, she found herself only wanting to hold him tighter.

"I'm sorry," she muttered. "You shouldn't... shouldn't have had to take care of me."

"You think that, after everything you have done for my family, I would find it a chore to keep you safe?" he asked.

"Of course."

He chuckled. "Darling, you and I are the same. We protect the people we love above all. And we do love you."

She swallowed, and then nodded against him.

"Finally!" Pin said as she walked in the room. "You're actually attentive now."

Avarice lifted her head ever so slightly. Then her head shot up, her eyes wide.

The day after the ball, she was supposed to meet with Hayley. She had completely forgotten with everything that had happened with Elijah. She needed to let her know that she was all right.

But unfortunately, she would be unable to go to the mortal world. She definitely would not be able to make it if she had enough trouble transporting Kaige home.

"Pin, can you get me paper? And a pen? The top drawer in the desk."

Pin nodded, said "Sure thing" and did just that. 

Avarice wrote out an address, and then handed the paper over to Pin.

"Go there tonight. Tell them I'm fine and the others are too."

Pin's brow furrowed. "But this address is-" she cut herself off. "Ohhh... Okay, I will."

Pin hurried off, and Elijah looked down at Avarice with a brow raised.