Part-38

For days afterward,Swara remained in the state of shock,but she managed to go about her daily routine,pretending normality.By the time a week had passed since her argument with Sanskar,she'd finally stopped constantly checking her phone to see if he had called or texted.

The day of the party she was determined to participate in the festive atmosphere like all the other guests.
Swara to Sahil-This is nice.Great view from up here.

The Benson & Gatesopen house party was well underway.Minutes b4,she'd walked over to the wondow in the giant confrence room at the top of the new building the firm purchased in the center of the city.The law firm used only the top 4 floors & leased the rest.From up here she had a good view of the night sky.

Sahil-Didn't I tell u? (Asked from behind her)
He wore a dark three-piece suit,& held a mixed drink in his hand.

Swara decided to curl her hair & sweep it to the side.The powder blue strapless dress she wore had a fitted bodice & a full chiffon skirt.
She took a good look at Sahil.
Swara-Are u having a good time?
He'd had an air of restlessness about him al night.

Sahil-To tell u the truth,I don't want to be here.(in a lower voice)
Swara-I appreciate u coming to this thing with me.No problem.After everything you've done for me,it's the least I could do,but why you don't want to be here?It's a nice event with good turn out.
Sahil-I don't like coming to company parties.B4 the nigt is over,most of this people will be drunk,& of that number,half of them will go together.

Swara cast a quick glance around the room.Considering the semi-formal attire everyone wore,she couldn't imagine them behaving the way Sahil suggested.However,plenty of liquor floated around,& corporate parties could often get out of hand.

Swara-Why did u come if u hate these events so much?
Sahil-It's good to show my face at these things,even though I don't enjoy them.

"Sahil,who's this beautiful creature with u?"
Thery both turned in the direction of old man with salt & pepper hair--more salt than pepper😂😜--who had walked up.
Swara stiffened when Sahil laughed & placed his hand low on her back😠😡.The intimate gesture took her by surprise.

Sahil-This is someone very special for me.Swara Gadodiya,this is Gabe Benson.
Swara-Nice to meet u,Mr.Benson.They shook hands.
Mr.Benson-Call me Gabe,plz.
His voice boomed in the room & no one else seemed to be disturbed by him,as if they had grown accustomed to him being loud.Such a commanding voice probably worked very well in the courtroom.

Swara-I love the table & the credenza.They look new.
Gabe-Brand spanking new.We had them custom-made by local craftsman.
He walked 2 steps & knocked his knuckles against the top of the table.
This is genuine mahogany,straight iut of America.It's not easy to get the real deal anymore--so many restrictions bcoz of the depletion of forests & all those damn illegal loggers.It cost a pretty penny,but our guy delivered & created a work of art.He couldn't look prouder if he'd produced the furniture himself.
Sahil-Where's Gates?
Gabe-Somewhere around here,enjoying the fact that his wife is out of town visiting the in-laws.I hope he isn't enjoying it too much.
He made a drinking motion with his hand,& he & Sahil laughed.
Swara smiled,not entirely sure if laughter was appropriate.

Gabe pointed his finger at Sahil.
Gabe-We have big things in store for this man right here.He's one of our hardest working attorneys.
Sahil-It's easy to work hard when u love what u do.
Gabe-That's what I like to hear.
Gabe slapped his hands together.
Gabe-Time to have some food in my body.
Swara it was a pleasure.Sahil,don't keep her to yourself all night--let her get around to meet other people.
Sahil-Will do.
Gabe patted his shoulder & then walked away.
Swara-He seems to really like you.
Sahil-I hope so.My goal is to make partner.I have big plans.
Swara,I know we said we'd just be friends,but lately I've been thinking a lot about my future & where I hope to be in the next 5 yrs.What I'm trying to say is--

Gabe's booming voice greeting someone caught their attention,which Swara was happy for.The conversation had started in a direction that made her distinctly uncomfortable.She turned around the door & had a moment of dizzying disbelief when she saw Gabe standing there with his arms around Sanskar's shoulders as they were old friends.
Sanskar,in a suit.
She'd done her best to keep thoughts of him at a minimum,but his arrival made that impossible to do.
He looked amazing in a black jacket,pale blue shirt,& a striped tie.Even with the stubble on his jaw,he looked polished,professional-breathtaking in a different way than he normally looked in casual attire.

A woman stood beside him with short hair,tapered on the sides.
Sahil-Is that ur friend?
Her throat muscles had tightened to the point that she could hardly breathe,& it took a while b4 she had the presence of mind to tear her eyes away & answer the question.
Swara-Yes,that's him.
Sahil-What's he is doing here?
Sahil demanded,as if she'd voilated some unspoken rule.He looked uncharacteristically upset.
Swara-I don't know.He probably received an invitation like everyone else.
Sahil looked at her with accusation in his eyes as if she'd given Sanskar access to the party & sprung an unwelcome surprise on him.
Sahil-I don't have anything to do with him being here.U should probably talk to Gabe about it since they seem to be friends.
Sahil hostility surprised her.

Swara turned back to the window to pull herself together.Given their last argument,she had no right to be jealous,but the ugly emotion rose inside her like chimney spoke.
Swara-Who was the woman with him?A friend,or more?
Sanskar's image appeared as a reflection in the glass.
Sanskar-Good evening,Sahil,Swara.

His voice prickled the hair on the back of her neck.Steadying her nerves,she turned slowly to face him.
Sahil-I'm surprised to see u here.U know Gabe?
Sanskar-U could say that.Gabe's a great guy.We have a couple of things in common.We both grew up in farming families & is turn out he's a fellow okie,too.I made the confrence table & credenza,& he invited me to the open house.
He turned her attention to Swara even though he continued to speak to Sahil.
Sanskar-I hadn't planned on coming but my plans changed at the last minute,& I decided to show up so I could take care of some business.

It was nerve-wracking the way he kept looking at her.She wished he'd stop it.
The woman walked up beside him.
Woman-Sam,give me a couple of ur business cards so I could help u hand them out.

Sam?His named contained 7 letters.Was it so difficult that she had to shorten it?😠
Women-Pardon me,I'm Kavya.
Swara-What do u do? (Politely)
Although she didn't feel polite.
She wanted to scratch Kavya's eyes out.

Her gaze shifted to Sanskar,who still stared at her.When he lowered his eyes to her bare shoulders,she experienced a sensation very much like a caress.

Kavya-I'm an interior designer.I put all of this together.She waved her hand in the general direction of the room & then plucked 2 cards out of a small purse.

Swara didn't take them,leaving Kavya's hand hanging in the space b/w them bcoz Sanskar distracted her.
The way his mouth looked.The way his eyes remained focused on her😍.Too late,she realized her stumble,but Sahil mitigated the awkward moment & took the cards.
Sanskar-How have u been?
Swara-Well.U?
Sanskar-Same.
Swara-I thought u weren't coming back for a couple more days.
Sanskar-I decided to cut my trip short.

The intimate tone of their voices suggested they were sequestered in a corner somewhere instead of standing in the middle of a room with dates & other guests.
Swara's pulse started an unrelenting beat in her throat.She wanted to pull him away from the other woman.She wanted to go somewhere & run her fingers through his hair,stake her claim by straddling him & peppering his skin with kisses.

Swallowing hard,her cheeks flushed with heat,Swara lifted the hair off her neck.The room had become unbearably warm.She groaned aloud,the sound leaving her throat b4 she could do anything to stop it.

Sahil-You okay?
Swara-I'm feeling a little out of it.
(She fanned her face)
Swara-I'm going to run to the restroom.Excuse me.
She hurried away as quickly as she could.

Precap-Romance😍Romance😘Romance💏
How was the part?☺

#Monica