We need a break

Arrington Noel Cruz
December 19, 1991

I pulled up to the studio hurriedly getting out of my car to get away from the cold air. I bumped into someone and I quickly looked up apologizing. When I really looked at him I realized I was standing in front of Ralph Tresvant. My mouth slowly dropped but I picked it up and spoke.

"I'm so sorry, I wasn't watching where I was going

"I'm so sorry, I wasn't watching where I was going."

He smiled at me. "It's alright, it's cold out there gotta hurry and get warm." I nodded and looked around. "I'm Ralph." He extended his hand towards me.

I took it slowly. "Arrington, it's a pleasure to meet you. I love your music."

"Thanks. You sing?"

"Uh yeah but not really. I'm just a songwriter mostly, I prefer to stay in the back."

"That's cool, who've you written for?"

"Mary J. Blidge, Al-B Sure, I'm writing with this new group SWV, and I wrote a couple songs on Boyz II Men last album."

He nodded. "Well how about we add me to that list?

"Cool, just talk to Andre Harrell and he'll hook everything up. I gotta go though, I have to get to Mary's session."

He nodded and shook my hand before smiling at me and walking out. I waved and turned around. When I was close to Mary's door I got pulled back. I started fighting back until I seen Donald's face.

"What the hell is wrong with you? You don't sneak up on a black woman."

"Didn't I say, don't play with my emotions?"

When I tell y'all I ain't never been so confused in my life, like nigga huh?
"What the hell are you talking about? How am I playing with your feelings?"

He stared at me long and hard before chuckling. The confusion on my face grew even more as I tilted my head to the side like a lost dog.

"Don't try to reap what you can't sow.." He let me go and walked away. I stood there for a while just confused on what the hell he's talking about. It better not be about Ralph cause yes he's fine but I don't want him.

I walked into the session and got started to finish up Mary's album. After a couple hours of us working and joking around we decided to pop up on the guys in their studio since K-Ci told her to pull up. When we got there we heard them remixing I'm still waiting. I noticed it was some females around and last time I checked, it's only two single people in the group so it should only be two women.

When JoJo seen me, his eyes bulged out his head and he coughed as if to send a message. I looked around and saw Don- no sorry, DeVante Swing ho ass hugged up with a girl all in his face. Mary walked behind me but I stopped her letting her know I'm good. I walked up to him and threw the ring he gave me along with the necklace he gave me as an early Christmas present. He looked up at me with a blank face.

"Merry fucking Christmas. Happy holidays. Happy New Year and all that bullshit. Have a great life, boo boo be careful the nigga crazy." I said as I walked away. I heard his voice behind me but I walked out and went outside to my car.

He grabbed my arm before I could open my car door. "I know you heard me calling you."

I shrugged him off and turned to look at him. "Get the fuck off me. I ain't the one to just sit around and be played. You wanna sit here and talk about me and how you don't like me talking to guys WHO WHICH I HAVE NO INTEREST IN CAUSE IM SO DUMB IN LOVE WITH YO TRIFLING ASS! But yet, you cooped up with some bitch like that shit cool. I don't got nothing to say to you, I ain't bout to be disrespected by nobody. You knew what would happen, I'm over it. You want that bitch go to her. Fuck a wedding ring, fuck a necklace, fuck a relationship, and fuck our future. Have a nice life knowing you lost someone who actually loved your mentally deranged ass. Goodbye."

I opened the door and got inside, but he stopped me from closing the door. "Ari.. Don't do this. I didn't even do anything. I didn't fuck her. I didn't kiss her, the guys brought her in."

"Donald.. I think we need space. I can't... I just can't. I just wanna go home and pack my clothes to go visit my parents for Christmas. I'll talk to you whenever."

"So what about us? All we ever did. Everything we had, it's done? I love you, I'm making myself better. I ain't never wanna do this for myself. You're doing exactly what the rest of them did."

"No the hell I'm not. Donald everything you've ever told me and all the shit you put me through?! Never once did I leave your side. I stayed with you even when you was tempted to whoop my ass. All the crazy shit you've done? I don't even talk to guys because I try to be considerate. I was down for you and I always will be, but I need a break. This is a lot, you're a lot. My sanity is important and no one wants to give their all if it's gonna go unappreciated and unreciprocated. Now let go of the door."

"You not going nowhere. I don't care how far you run, you ain't getting far."

"I gotta go.. Just go back inside to your little girlfriend. I'll let my parents know you couldn't make it."

He looked in my eyes with a hard glare. When he noticed I was serious his eyes got glossy and he twisted his lip and nodded his head slowly.

"I love you to death babygirl, remember that. I'll do anything to keep you."

I nodded my head. "I know.. I love you too." He closed my door and watched as I drove off.

Once I reached my place I packed my bags and put the suitcases by the door. I took a shower and went to sleep.

-----
Excuse any errors