It goes down at the Vineyard

Arrington Noel Cruz
January 28, 1992

I felt a sharp pain in my lower abdomen and sucked in a breath. Kayla stopped talking as her and Mary looked at me.

"Ari you okay?"

The pain was getting severe and I felt like I was about to pass out. "Call Donald. I need to go to the hospital." Kayla nodded and went to the phone. Mary helped me up and walked me to the car. Once she sat me in the backseat she came on the other side and sat my head in her lap.

"It's gonna be okay Ari, just breathe."

Kayla came running to the car. "He said him and the guys are gonna meet us there you just hang on boo."

10 minutes later we were at the hospital and Kayla screamed for help. Some nurses came and brought a wheel chair. As soon as I got out the car I collapsed. Everyone's voices became so distant.

I woke up to a bright light in my eyes and humming of a church tune. I felt someone holding my hand stroking the back of it with their thumb.

You made my day
You came my way
You heard me every time I pray
You gave me peace
You gave me grace
You put a smile upon my face

You brought the sunshine in my life
You are the lifeline
Since that I have found Christ
There has been such a change in my life

I smiled cause that's my favorite song by the Clark Sisters. I tried to sit up, but felt an excruciating pain so I let out a grunt.

Everyone stopped singing and came towards me.

"Ari are you okay boo? You scared the hell out of us." Mary said kissing my forehead.

"My baby.. Is my baby okay?" Everyone got silent and just stared at De. I looked at him and he looked down. "Is my baby okay?" I asked again.

"I'll go get the doctor." He said lowly and got up. I had a feeling something is completely wrong.

The doctor walked in with De behind him. He gave me a bright smile. "Arrington I'm glad to see you're up. How are you feeling?"

"I'd be feeling better if someone told me if my motherfucking baby is okay. Excuse the language."

Donald looked at everyone. "Can y'all leave us alone with the doctor please?" They all nodded and left. Donald sat next to me and held my hand.

"Ari.. There is no baby."

I looked at him weirdly. "De we know I'm pregnant. We even went to the doctors."

The doctor interrupted. "Arrington you had an ectopic pregnancy. The baby was growing in your Fallopian tube instead of your uterus. The pain you felt was the rupturing of your right Fallopian tube. We managed to get you into surgery quickly and contain the bleeding but there was no way we could save the baby. I'm so sorry for you guys loss."

I put my head back on the pillow. I was actually getting excited about this pregnancy. Donald and I were even planning to get a place together.

"Can I ever get pregnant again?"

He nodded. "Yes you can. You'd need to be closely monitored if you're doing it naturally but you and your boyfriend always have option of IVF. You take out some eggs and he gives his sperm and you basically freeze the babies and when you're ready you have it placed in you. You can make it a girl, a boy, even twins, or triplets. There are thousands of options."

I nodded my head and looked down at the sheets. "I think she just needs to rest. Thank you doc." Donald said holding my hand. When the doctor walked out he kissed my forehead. "We're gonna get through this baby. Don't worry, we can always try for another one." He said lowly. I can tell this hurt him, Donald was really excited about my pregnancy. It made me happy seeing him happy about it, we had even planned to tell our parents next month.