Sparks on the fourth

Arrington Noel Cruz
July 4, 1992

I was sitting in the parking lot waiting for De to get out his therapy session. Today we were supposed to be spending the Fourth of July together. His therapist said he's in a better place to where we can start being close again. His medicine keeps him calm but sometimes he looks out of it.

He walked up to the car and sat in the passenger seat. I looked at him as he put on his seatbelt.

"Was it a good session?" I asked while reversing the car.

He sighed. "Yeah it was fine. I'm tired though."

"Your pills have just been doping you up. Maybe I should call your psychiatrist later?"

He shook his head. "I kept telling him and he says we have to wait. So I guess I'm stuck like this."

"I'm sure everything will work itself out. Just gotta keep praying and be patient. You want to stop by my house so you can sleep?"

He nodded his head and looked out the window. The rest of the ride was quiet. His medicine is really messing with his body because he barely acts like himself. He's barely writing and he always writes.

Once we got to the house I opened the door letting him walk in first. He greeted Kayla as she was leaving the house and went to the room.

"Is he okay?" Kayla asked looking worried.

"Girl I don't know. I'm just giving him space."

"Call me if you need me." She said as she kissed my cheek and then walked out.

I walked into the room taking off my jacket and shoes. I saw De on the bed looking up at the ceiling. I straddled him making him look at me as he rested his hands on my waste.

"I don't like seeing you like this. I really wish your psychiatrist could give you better medicine."

"As long as it keeps me sane and I get to be able to see that beautiful smile of yours." I smiled and leaned down to kiss his lips.

We started getting deep into the kiss but then he stopped. He looked the other way and let out a frustrated sigh.

"What's wrong? You're not into it?" I asked holding his face.

"I want it, it's just... I can't."

When I realized what he meant I nodded. "Is it the medicine?" He nodded his head. "Maybe we can see if something will you know.. Get it up."

I started placing kisses on his neck going down before he stopped me again. "Ari, I can't.. It just won't cooperate. I'm sorry baby, I really want to."

"It's okay Donald. I'm not mad at you. We can just chill.. Alright?"

He mumbled okay then we sat down and began talking. We started going off in our own world when he threw his notebook. He started pacing and I just stared at him.

"Donald, you have to communicate babe. What's wrong?"

"I can't write Ari. I can't be creative. Shit is annoying as hell. I know me changing is for the better, but it's tough man. I'm not myself, I've become a damn zombie."

"I'm so sorry Don.. I want you to get better but I wish you didn't have to go through all this."

"It's fine, I'll take care of it." He said not looking at me.

I looked at him and hugged him. He kissed my forehead and we stood there for what felt like forever.

---------

Excuse any errors