32. | B A D N E W S

C H A P T E R | THIRTY-TWO
BAD NEWS

𝙳 𝙴 𝚂 𝚃 𝙸 𝙽 𝙸 𝙼 𝙴 𝙺 𝙷 𝙸

MAYBE she was foolish about a lot of things when it came to Carter but she wasn't a complete idiot and Destini meant all that she had said. The issue was a lot of the time Carter would always get his way - - throw some money and everything was fine - - but this time Destini was determined not to let money or sex change what needed to happen. She couldn't let her longing for him dissuade her from the happiness that she deserved. Yes, she loved him - - with all her heart she loved him but she needed to be sure that Carter was ready to be the man she needed him to be - - the man that her girls needed him to be too.

Destini wasn't sure that Carter had learned his lesson completely so she held back as much as she could and she didn't close her eyes to the truth or her mind to other options. As of late she was an independent woman and she liked it. She liked having her own say so and her own rules and until Carter proved he could get his shit completely together that was the way things would remain. At least, that's what Destini had thought.

"This view is beautiful," Destini's eyes glossed over the view of New York City that she hadn't seen in so long, "How on earth did you find this place?" She stood near the balcony, on top of a restaurant that she had been having dinner in and allowed the scenery to sink in. Seconds later she felt a hand on her bare shoulder, ripe from the heat of the summer's night and powerful.

A small smile tugged at the corners of her lips and then she slowly turned to see him standing there behind her looking out at the view and then back at her. He smiled too, that same handsome smile he always wore and those beautiful, deep, kind eyes that he'd always cast since the day they met. They had always known there was attraction but circumstances weren't the best between them but now Destini was on a whole different kick than she was before.

"It is," said he in a deep baritone, "But you're more beautiful," he whispered into her ear. Months of seeing one another here and there and this was yet another one of those evenings they spent together. He risked his life and she risked her heart - - both valuable things in the scheme of things. "It's one of the best views of the city - - well at least, I think so."

"Do you mean it?"

"Mean what?" He furrowed his eyebrows and drew closer, "What are you asking? Oh," he smiled and licked his lips, "Of course, Destini - - of course I mean it." He came closer and wrapped his arms around her, "I wouldn't say things I don't mean. I hope you wouldn't either."

"I wouldn't," she whispered back and turned around, "It's just new to me is all - - I won't lie- - I know we've been hangin' out for some time now but it's still - - it's different for me."

"How so?"

"Well," she looked down, nervously laughing and then back up, "I've only been with one man my entire life - - only known and loved one man. It's crazy to me that he and I are where we are and it's not what I want especially since my girls - - my girls need him," she sighed, "It's just a fucked up place to be honestly and there are times where I feel - - I feel - - so scared, afraid."

"Yes, but," he grabbed her hand and kissed it, "What is it that YOU need? What does Destini want? It's crazy - - you remind me so much of my mother. Moms was in a similar situation with my father," he looked into her eyes, "So believe me I know where you're coming from. From it all, my mother learned that even though I was involved there's still a point that you have to worry about yourself too. Destini you gotta think about your girls but you gotta think about you too, ma. You're important too - - do you know that?" He rubbed his hand against her cheek, "You matter just as much as your girls and you need to be mindful of that."