34. | T H E F A L L I N G W A L L S

C H A P T E R | THIRTY-FOUR
THE FALLING WALLS

N E W Y O R K T I M E S
PRESS RELEASE

F.B.I. Turns Investigation Heat on Mekhi Under Longstanding Suspicion of Criminal Activity
Media Contact: New York Times
Monday June 23, 20xx.

Carter Ryan Mekhi is no stranger to the inside of courtrooms and criminally suggestive press. The F.B.I. announced Sunday at a bureau press conference held at the New York City Courthouse in Manhattan that they plan on launching a full investigation on Mekhi under suspicion of illegal gun charges and the murders of undercover F.B.I. agent Ken Stallings, 32, and several others linked to the kingpin.

The F.B.I., who had been investigating a street shoot out happening in broad day light in the fifteen hundred block of McGregor and Addison in Brooklyn over six months back linked Mekhi to the shooting. The incident wounded two and fatally killed five, one of whom was a driver that belonged to Mekhi's party.

Mekhi, also known as The Teflon Don, managed to escape the shootout presumably unscathed though it is unknown why the shootout occurred. Shells found at the scene of the crime indicate weaponry associated with Mekhi in a previous murder case in which Mekhi was not convicted and released. Ballistics reports confirm that the suspected weaponry used, a high caliber machine gun, which was declared illegal in the United States in 1998 and originate from various parts of Asia, namely Japan.

At the press conference New York City F.B.I. chief of investigation Quincy Valentine was quoted saying, "We've been building a case against Mekhi for some time now. Mekhi has continued to evade the law and all NYPD's previous attempts but he can't escape us, [ F.B.I.]," additionally, Valentine expressed disgust with the unsuccessful seeking out of the crime syndicate Mekhi is suspected to be involved with, "We will not stop. Once we find enough evidence to convict Mekhi we'll just keep digging deeper and deeper for more of Mekhi's little secrets. Maybe he can escape NYPD but not us - - Mekhi will pay for his sins in this city."

Currently the F.B.I. has not charged Mekhi formally, however they are questioning possible sources and suspects associated with the shooting and Ken Stallings murder. Mekhi has made no comment on the investigation and refuses to speak with the press about his involvement with the aforementioned incidents or the budding F.B.I. case.

● ● ●

Carter sighed, sitting at his desk as he read the New York Times with a cup of coffee in hand shaking his head. He knew it was only a matter of time before he received some kind of flack for the shooting that happened near the ice cream shop that he and Judas had been involved with when he'd taken Stoni there for ice cream that day.

He also knew that the F.B.I. would start pointing fingers about the disappearance of their under cover agent and turn the missing persons case into a murder case. He looked up when he heard a knock at his door and saw two F.B.I. agents flashing their ID's - - one he recognized as agent Valentine - - a pain in Carter's side since he could remember.

"Valentine," Carter sat the paper down, "To what do I owe this unpleasant surprise," he stood up and grabbed the paper again, "Don't you know you're supposed to call before you come?"

"When you're the F.B.I. you don't have to, Mekhi," Valentine said, "Mind if I have a seat?"

"Actually," he laughed, "I do," Carter held the paper up in the air, "Lovely story you have here - - no press is bad press right," Carter tossed the black and white article and shrugged his shoulders, his Italian shoes making their way across the floor to the bar effortlessly. He grabbed the scotch and threw in three ice cubes and poured taking his time with his back to the officers and his mannerisms leisurely.