Let Him Go

Keith slept on the cot in the cell. He hugged his knees close to his chest desperately trying to stay warm. The door slid open and closed before rapid footsteps ran in his direction. "Oof!" There was a loud clatter and thud as objects were knocked from their shelves and someone fell to the cold, hard floor. "Ow."

"Who's there?!" Keith demanded.

"Shh... it's just me." There was another series of clattering objects as a figure rose to their feet.

"Lance?" Keith rushed toward the sound of the voice as far as the cell would allow. Metal clanged as he seized the bars. He reached through, trying to find him in the darkness. "Where are you?"

Lance met him halfway, grasping Keith's cold hand in his own and closing the distance between them. "I'm here," he said gently. "Holy crow, Keith. You're freezing!"

"But why?"

"Well, when it's cold and someone doesn't have a proper blanket--"

"--No, I mean, why are you here?"

"Can't I see my boyfriend?"

Keith's face flushed. "You're not supposed to be here, Lance. You should go before they catch you." Despite his words, he squeezed Lance's hand in a quiet effort to tell him to stay.

"You're so cute." He chuckled, pressing his face against the bars. "You see darling, rules are more of a guideline than anything else. Besides, what are they gonna do? Ground me? I gotta live life to the fullest. Can't let a few rules get in the way."

"That explains so much."

"As a wise man once said, 'life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.'"

"Which wise man said that?"

"Ferris Bueller."

"Who?"

"Seriously? Have you actually seen a movie a day in your life?"

"Not lately. I've been kinda busy not dying."

"Okay, when we get back to earth, the first thing I'm gonna do is sit you down to watch all the classics."

"I don't think that's necessary."

"Oh, yes it is! Anyway, I came here for a reason. Hold on. Let me think." Lance slapped his forehead. "Ugh! Okay. Just give me a minute. I'm gonna leave and come back. Maybe I'll remember what I came for."

"Um... okay?"

Lance stepped away. He hadn't walked far before he stopped in his tracks and spun around. "I've got it!" He rushed back to Keith.

"Yeah?"

"I'm gonna get you out of there."

Keith paused. "I'm listening. So what's the plan?."

"Uh... well...that's a work in progress. This is sort of a last minute thing--Oh! Hold on a tick!" He ran out. In the distance, Keith could hear the door slide open and closed.

Keith leaned against the bars to wait. And wait... and wait... eventually, Keith crossed the cell space to take the cotton blanket off of his cot and wrapped it around himself. He curled up with the blanket at the corner closest to the cell door while he waited. His blinking slowed as his body began to give in to sleep once more. His head bobbed as he tried to resist sleep however, it wasn't long before he was snoring quietly against the bars of his cell.

"Rise and shine, sunshine." Keith awoke to a hand gently shaking him by the shoulder. "Sorry I took so long, darling. I needed a little help." Lance pointed back to Hunk who yawned and rubbed his eyes.

"Hey," Hunk said in his half asleep state.

"Hey," Keith replied. He rose to his feet. "So... do you have any idea what you're doing?"

"I need to take a look first." Hunk crouched in front of the lock. "Great," he muttered.

"Is that a good 'great' or a bad 'great'?" Keith asked, pressing his face to see what Hunk was referring to.

"It's bad," he replied. "Finger scanner. If this was a standard lock, we could try to pick it but this will definitely be a challenge."

"I believe in you, buddy." Lance said.

"Well, luckily for us, it seems that the alarm system is only connected to the scanner."

"How is that lucky?" Keith asked.

Hunk tapped the metal hinges. "Well, metal can melt under specific conditions. Lance," Hunk began.

"Way ahead of you, big guy." There was an exchange of a small, compact object. "Have I ever told you that you're a genius?"

Hunk chuckled. "I wouldn't mind hearing you say that more often. Hey, Keith?"

"Yeah?"

"You might want to step back." The object in Hunk's hand hissed and sparked before it erupted in bright orange flames which eventually settled to a deep blue.

Keith hopped to the back of the cell, switching his attention between the gradually melting hinges and their silhouettes dancing against the walls.

"Don't look directly at it, Keith. You don't want to blind yourself." Hunk warned.

Keith turned away, stars danced across his vision. Keith didn't turn until the light faded. He blinked as he was surrounded by darkness once more. Lance and Hunk shook the cell door until it came loose. The door swung open for Lance to rush inside.

Lance wrapped his arms around him and buried his face in Keith's shoulder. They held each other in a tight embrace, showing no sign of ever letting go. "Keith." Keith shifted to face Lance. "You need to get out of here. Blue keeps telling me that something's wrong but I don't know what. It's not safe for you to stay here."

"What about you? And the others?" Keith asked, his gaze drifting to Hunk.

"We'll be fine... I hope..." Hunk replied.

"Go to escape pod #3," Lance continued quickly. "I already packed your things. Your ride is waiting for you." He hugged Keith tighter. "I don't know where you'll go. Maybe try to find a peaceful planet? I... oh Quiznak, I should have planned more for this!"

"Shh... it's okay." Keith smiled reassuringly. "I'll figure something out."

Lance held Keith's face in his hands, gently brushing the hair out of his eyes. "I just want you to be safe." Lance bowed his head.

"I'll be fine..." He placed a hand under Lance's chin. Lance's gaze drifted up to meet his. "...You'll see," Keith finished with a small smile.

"You'd better. We have plans now. We can't go on our first date if you die on me."

"Guys," Hunk said from the doorway. "We need to hurry! I don't know how long it's been, but we need to go before someone finds us!"

Keith leaned in to give Lance a reassuring peck on the lips before breaking away. "I'll be back. I promise."

"Go, get out of here." He hid his tears behind a smile, nudging Keith away. "I love you."

Keith smiled and kissed him again. This time, the kiss lingered. "I love you too," he breathed before turning on his heel to run away.