~Chapter Fourteen~

My eyes widened in shock and my jaw dropped to the floor. I stared in awe at the beaming woman sitting in front of me. She looked so incredibly happy, despite the surprised looks on the two teenagers in front of her. Blane’s face read shock, no surprise there. He looked like somebody had just told him that a truck hit his puppy.

            “C-congratulations?” My eyebrows scrunched together, but my eyes remained as wide as bowling balls. Her smile faltered a little bit when she realized my response wasn’t exactly assuring of my happiness. I was going to try to reply in a more supportive tone, but Blane had other plans.

            “Mom…how c-could you?” His voice was a bit shaky. He glared at his mother and father before standing up. “You know you can’t do this!”

            “Anna’s fine, the new baby will be, too,” His mother snapped, shooting a warning glance as his fuming father beside him.

            “You know exactly what’s going to happen!” Blane roared, shoving his chair under the table. “And you’re just going to let it happen?”

            “Blane, this will be fine, you’re overreacting,” Mr. Cole’s stern voice spoke from the other side of the table. I didn’t turn my head though; my eyes remained locked on Blane. He chest was moving heavily and his fists were balled up with white knuckles.

            “I’m overreacting?” He laughed, humorlessly, as he stared as his parents with rage in his eyes. “When you’ve screwed yourselves over I don’t want to be involved one fucking bit,” He turned on his heels and began to stomp out. I noticed Anna’s worried eyes follow Blane, but she had not the slightest clue what was going on. Then again, neither did I, really.

            Blane’s parents sat in shock, staring at the door he had stormed out of. Moments later the front door slammed, signaling that he had left. “I’ll go talk…yeah, I’m-“ I pointed towards the doorway as I stood up. They nodded, encouragingly, as I backed out. Once I was out of the awkward atmosphere of the dining room, I followed his path of destruction. He had knocked over a decorative item on his way out when he slammed the door.

            By the time I was outside, he was beginning to back down the hill on his bike, with no helmet I might add. He was fuming, that was no secret. When he saw me, he began to move a bit faster, only causing me to quicken my pace.

            “Blane!” I called to him. He didn’t even look at me, only rolled his eyes and continued to move. I began to run as I called his name once more. “Please, talk to me!”

            “What’s there to talk about?” He snarled whilst finally looking up at me. “The fact that my mother’s just screwed herself over complete? She might’ve just killed herself or the child growing in her stomach?”

            “Obviously there’s something to talk about,” I snapped and he only rolled his eyes. “Come on, Blane,”

            “I’m not going back in there, Indiana, so don’t even ask me,” He said in a low voice once he finally cut the engine.

            “I know,” I offered a small smile. “Let’s just go somewhere, I don’t care where, just somewhere,” He sighed before scooting up on his seat. He patted the spot behind him lightly. Swiftly, I made my way over and slid onto the seat. After latching my arms around him, he pulled off.

            He took it slow, thankfully, seeing as neither of us wore helmets. I had no idea where we were going or how long we’d be gone. We drove for a pretty long time, weaving in and out of streets and cars. When we finally stopped, I didn’t recognize the surrounding area at all. We were parked at the top of a hill in an empty, dirt parking lot.