~Chapter Twenty-Three~

Five o’clock was the time, yet it felt as if it was nine. We’d been here for such little time. The only thing I wanted to do was leave. The only pro to being in such a large space with so many people was that I had yet to have another run-in with Blane or my parents.

            At the moment, I continued to socialize with the associates that I vaguely knew. One of the more familiar ones happened to walk up to me, Billy Greene, a man who had been close to my father when he was younger.

            “Indiana!” He cheered, a warm smile on his tan face. Mr. Greene had Italian roots, his parents were from Italy, so the dark hair and olive skin were a given. I offered a polite smile in return.

            “It’s good to see you, Mr. Greene,” I said. He nodded.

            “How have you been? I haven’t seen you in years,” He shook his head, the warm smile failing to disappear.

            “I know, it’s been a while, but I’ve been good!” I lied, fluently. How horrible is that? He didn’t see through it though.

            “That’s great, you’ll have to catch up with Kennedy sometime soon,” He acknowledged his daughter, who was a year younger than I was. We never truly got a long, she was a bit stuck up, but we played for our parents’ sake.

            “We’re only in town for just a week, spending Thanksgiving here, but I’ll try to get a chance to see her,” I promised. He seemed content with my answer, so we bid our goodbyes and he walked off, leaving me standing alone with a drink in my hand. I had another hour before dinner was served, and I was silently praying that it would be a quick one.

            “Indiana? Indiana Leighman, is that you?” An astonished voice spoke from behind me. I turned to see the curly-haired redhead that I had grown to love. A grin instantly formed on my lips.

            “Hi, Barb,” I said as my arms wrapped around her frame, one much taller than my own. Her actions copied mine immediately.

            “Oh my goodness, they haven’t dragged you to one of these in over a year!” She exclaimed. It was true; I hadn’t been forced to go to any hotel business since last October.

            “It’s been a long time,” My lips formed a more fluent smile, not one that I’ve been faking. “It’s really good to see you,”

            “How’s your dancing been?” She asked, her eyebrows rising.

            “It’s great, I’ve got a big gig coming up in mid December, I’ll be a back-up dancer for a show in New York,” I informed her, only to be rewarded with a pleased smile. “I’ve been practicing with this group for around a month now, I’m really excited,” It was true, I was very excited to be in the show. I hadn’t thought about it much lately, and I’ve missed a practice or two, but I had the routine down pat.

            “That’s so great, congratulations!” Her eyes lit up as her arms encircled me in a hug once more.

            “What about you?” I asked. “How are things with you and Jim?” I referred to her husband.

            “Oh, well actually, we recently found out that I’m pregnant!” She exclaimed. My eyes immediately widened.

            “Barb! Congratulations!” I squealed. Even though Barb was in her late thirties, she had been trying for a baby for years. “Oh my gosh, I’m so happy for you!”