~Chapter Twenty-Two~

As I slipped through the door of the living room, my eyes met with those of Blane's. My shoulders automatically slumped.

            "Where the hell have you been?" He whispered harshly. I scoffed.

            "None of your business," I sharply responded. His eyes rolled. Our conversation was ending until my dear father decided to step into the room. I was surprised to see him up this late, but as soon as his eyes set on me, I understood. His fiery gaze practically caused me to burst into flames then and there.

            "What were you thinking, young lady?" He snarled, making his way over to where I stood. "How dare you go against my word? Oh, you just wait until your mother hears about this one little missy, you're not getting a free pass," He was pissed, but I just snorted a laugh.

            "Can't do it on your own, dad?" Obviously I wasn't helping my situation, but I was still on a sort of happiness high from my night. My mind wasn't in sync with my mouth. Immediately, his nostrils flared and his face reddened.

            "Your behavior is despicable, I cannot believe you would sneak out to go to some concert against your own father's words!" He roared. My face remained emotionless but I did take a step back. That was when Blane cleared his throat.

            "Excuse me, sir, if I may interrupt," Blane paused and looked at my father, whose enraged expression didn't cease, yet his lips remained shut. "Indiana didn't go to the concert, we just got caught up talking by the water," For a moment, my lips parted in surprise. Blane was defending me. He was defending me? Is this how he thinks he'll worm his way back into my life?

            "I saw her leave for the concert myself," My father snapped, his eyes narrowing at the teenage boy ahead of him.

            "Yes, I walked out after her and convinced her not to go," He explained. My father still looked skeptical. "I'm so sorry for not informing you that we were out there, I truly didn't mean for you to wait up for us,"

            He held his intense glare on the two of us for another ten seconds before finally turning around and trudging away, grumbling to himself as he went.

            "You didn't have to defend me," I snapped, turning my body to face him. He scoffed.

            "A simple thank you will suffice," He replied, with a small smirk.

            "I don't need your help," I narrowed my eyes at him. My body turned once more, away from him, and I began to walk towards the staircase.

            "God, you're so stubborn," He quietly called as I began walking up the steps. At this point, I didn't have enough energy to argue with him, even though I knew very well how wrong and inconsiderate he was being as he said those words. Instead, I awarded him with my middle finger once more. He didn't utter another word.

            Sleep was soon to overtake me, nearly as soon as I had pajamas on and my head was on the pillow. It was the first night in months that I didn't lay awake thinking about the possibilities that swirled around me. I was just too tired.

            After what felt like only five minutes, the pillow was yanked from underneath my head, causing a scream to erupt from my mouth.

            "Time to wake up," My mother chorused, as she sauntered about the room with a smile. She was acting as if nothing had happened yesterday, but that's exactly how she worked. If we don't talk about it, it never happened.