~Chapter Twenty-Four~

When I awoke the next morning, I was pleased to see that it was almost noon. Without even knowing it, I had successfully avoided the breakfast scene. Although it did baffle me as to why my parents didn’t barge in here and demand that I wake up. They could’ve very well been grateful for the fact that I averted a crisis at dinner last night.

            An inaudible sound left my throat, in place of yawn, as I sat up, stretching my arms out. My eyes flickered around the room for a moment before I stood up. An outfit was quickly thrown together, with a bathing suit underneath. This trip wasn’t about to be ruined by my nuisance of a mother.

            “Good morning,” I quietly greeted Mrs. Cole, who was the only one in the kitchen as I walked in. Silently, I grabbed a breakfast bar and tore off the wrapper.

            “Everyone’s out on the beach,” She informed me. With my mouth full, I nodded. I left the room without another word spoken.

            The sun was shining bright and the wind was perfect to surf. And so, that’s just what I did. The garage was already open, my father’s surfboard missing from the stack, but I didn’t think anything of it as I picked up mine.

            No clouds cluttered the sky, and the sun was shining as bright as it could. Everything just looked beautiful really. My eyes scanned across the beach as my footsteps began to take me to where everyone sat. What surprised me the most was the fact that my dad was actually surfing. A small smile tugged at the corners of my lips before I could stop it.

            It was touching.

            Dad had been the one to teach me in the first place. We used to come here a lot, when I was smaller. My mother never was a huge fan of the whole thing; it was my dad and I’s thing. Just the fact that he can, and will, still do this, whether I’m there or not, almost brought tears to my eyes.

            No words were spoken as I began wading into the waves. A smile was exchanged between the two of us. No matter how upset I could be with him, or both of my parents for that matter, they were still just that. For me, it was hard having to be put in this situation. At times, the only things I want are my parents, yet they’re not there to provide the support I need. When they are, it’s nice to cherish it.

            “I was wondering when you’d join me,” He cautiously stated. I smiled in response before lying down on my board and beginning to paddle. He was quick to follow my path, just going a slightly different route to prevent a clash.

            A mere five minutes later, I stood up on a wave, only to crash down. Dad laughed as I resurfaced, and I huffed.

            My eyes flickered to the shore to see my mother and Mrs. Cole talking and lounging in the sand, Mr. Cole was doing what appeared to be tanning, and Blane was playing with Anna a little ways down the beach, away from his parents. I didn’t allow my eyes to remain on them too long, for another wave was heading our way.

            A challenging smirk was shot my way by my father, to which I shook my head in response. We both began to paddle.

            In a split second, I had stood up. It goes by so quickly, but I struggled to keep my balance. Out of the corner of my eye, it was obvious that my dad had fallen. With a triumphant grin, I rode out the wave.

            “You haven’t lost your touch,” Dad proudly stated after he returned to the surface. I shrugged. “I’m worn out,” His head made a quick motion towards the shore, and I nodded, blowing air through my lips.