Coming Home

Nash had been gone a few weeks, enjoying life in California with Cameron after the previous Magcon. I had gotten very sick during that time and ended up in the hospital yet again. I made sure Nash didn't come home because I didn't want to ruin the fun he was having in California. When I was being discharged, the doctors thought it would be best for me to wear the little oxygen cannula. So to add to my hollow eyes, bald head, and frail looking body, I had even more of an appearance like a suffering cancer patient. I felt like life was literally being sucked out of me with every chemotherapy session, and medication I swallowed. Basically my life consisted of sitting at home, watching movies, and sleeping. Nash was home only for a few days every other week and then he'd be off somewhere on the other side of the country. I probably knocked out 10 or more movies a week, and got through a lot of Greys Anatomy. Most of my friends were at school, and by most, I mean all. There was nothing I could really do since I was too sick to be able to commit to anything. Lucky for me, Nash was coming home for the first time in two and a half weeks and I was on my way to meet him at the airport. I waited for him outside the gate that he said he'd be getting off at.

Finally I saw him. The suitcase he held looked like it was being stretched to it's max, and his eyes were puffy with sleep.

"Nash!" I wrapped my arms around his neck as he leaned back lifting me off the ground. He kissed me right on the lips as everyone watched the "cute reunited couple."

"I missed you," he said looking me in the eyes and kissing the very tip of my nose. "Magcon wasn't the same without you."

I could tell he was trying to hide the shock of seeing me for the first time with tubing under my nose that supplied me oxygen to help me breathe. I tried picking up the suitcase that he had left on the ground to hug me, but I couldn't pick it up, it was way too heavy. With struggle I got it upright but Nash took it from my hands.

"It's ok, I got this," he said. With his free and that he wasn't holding the suitcase with, he grabbed mine and we walked out of the airport. I felt exhausted by the time we got to the car. He open my car door for me and helped me in and then threw his stuff in the trunk.

"You should come over for dinner, my Mom is making this amazing dish," he offered. I agreed and we drove back to his place for a night of storytelling. He told me all of the new stories of Magcon and stupid things him and Cameron decided to do. I loved hearing these stories and they always made me laugh, but a part of me was sad. Sad that I couldn't live those moments with him. I wanted to go with him to California so badly, but my doctors said I wasn't well enough. It was hours before Nash even got finished telling all of his stories when his mother called us for dinner.

She made this beautiful dish of I don't even know what. It was pasta and shrimp and a combination of heaven. Everyone was digging in. I wanted to, but I held back. I wasn't holding down food well, but I didn't want to be rude, so I started eating slowly. It tasted so good since my mom wasn't really the best cook you could ask for. It was mostly easy dishes like some quick pasta, taco's, and the family favorite... pizza. I took after her and burned anything that came between me and the oven. I had only taken a few bites before I knew that this wasn't going to go well.

"Excuse me," I said getting up and walking swiftly to the bathroom. I shut the door and tried to throw up as quietly as possible. It was so embarrassing.

Soon after I had left the table, I heard a soft knock on the door.

"Liv?" Nash said. I opened the door for him. He looked at me with I look of sympathy, I didn't like it.

"I'm so sorry," I said putting my head in my hands. "This has nothing to do with your moms cooking, she has to know that. It's just that I can't keep anything down." I stood up and washed my hands.

"No, Liv, it's okay. I understand, so does my whole family." That was all that was said between us. He walked back to the table as I splashed some water on my face. When I got back to the table the plates had been cleared and everyone had "finished eating," but really they didn't want me to feel awkward when I didn't want to eat anything else. They were all sitting around listening to Nash tell his stories of San Diego and his family tell stories of life around North Carolina. I mostly sat in quiet except the occasional laugh at a funny comment or story. All I really wanted to do was go home and sleep.