~Chapter Ten~

Okay if you didn't get the memo, I did have to put this on hold. But I had a legitimate reason, and I'm going to publish like normal again now.

To make it up to you, here's an extra-crappy half-assed chapter. BUt it's also the longest chapter of my life soooo...

This will probably raise more questions than it answers, so sorry in advance.

And if you find any mistakes, tell me because I had NO time to edit it.

-------------------------------------------------

"There's a lot that needs to be said. What do you want to know first?"

Jesse tossed her hands in the air. "Oh geez, I don't know. How about everything?!"

"How long have you been following us?" Minty asked.

"Er...from the beginning. I've been keeping an eye on you since I left the book." Soren admitted.

The black-haired girl made a noise in her throat that was half growl and half scream. "From the BEGINNING?! You let us wander aimlessly around your fortress without helping! You waited around while Jacky and Salem attacked us! You sat by and watched while our friends got trapped in the Nether! YOU DID NOTHING WHILE THEY MURDERED GILL!"

Soren flinched slightly, but didn't seem too affected by Jesse's ranting. "Well yes, but everything was for a reason."

"YOU LITTLE-" Jesse roared. She swore at him for nearly a minute and a half. Soren waited patiently until she had exhausted her supply of explicatives.

"Listen, I know you're mad, but-"

"Oh, you THINK?!" Jesse wasn't only mad about the events that had transpired on this new adventure. She still had pent-up anger left over from all the mysteries in the Portal Network that had never been explained.

"Please stop and listen to us. You need to know what's going on." Ellegaard told her in a measured tone. Jesse gave her a venomous look. "The freaking worlds are falling apart. That's what's going on."

"Yes, but do you know why?" Soren cut in. "Do YOU?!" Maya snapped back.

Soren shrugged. "More than you do."

Jesse stepped closer to him, lowering her voice to a threatening growl. "Then start explaining. Now."

Gabriel cleared his throat. "Actually, it might be better to go back to our safe house. We're too close to the crevice at the moment."

Soren paused for a moment, then conceded. "I suppose you're right. Come with us. We've constructed a simple base that can withstand the crevice." he told the three girls.

Maya and Jesse exchanged a skeptical look, but the trio of older heroes had already started off. Minty went with them, with the other two following hesitantly behind.

They walked for a little while before coming across a medium-sized house mounted on stilts. "Huh. That's actually pretty smart." Maya admitted. Jesse nodded in reluctant approval.

The group went up the stairs and into the house. The interior seemed as though it had been finished in a rush, and the furniture was few and haphazardly placed. Soren motioned for the three girls to sit down, then sank into a chair of his own.

Jesse jabbed a finger in his direction. "Talk. And that's an order, not an option."

"Fine, fine. I'll try to make this as simple as I can. Those two women were friends of mine many many years ago."