02

The time came again, like it did each year, when the varsity basketball team would show themselves to start the preseason. The whole school attended and each player would be escorted by a member of the cheer team. Every cheerleader had been practicing for the event a month prior since it was a big deal, so it was critical to perform outstandingly.

The cheer team entered the sports hall, Mae at the front because she was captain. The stands were packed full of cheering students, most of which were sporting the school's colours of blue and white and waving flags which were embellished with the Liberty Tiger.

It was the cheer team's job to perform before the team introduction. Each cheerleader was decked out in the blue cheer uniform consisting of a vest shirt and a pleated skirt over a pair of navy blue shorts.

Mae, as the captain, was also expected to stand with Bryce Walker, the recipient of the captain's award, just before the individual introductions. Her short brown hair was braided at the front and had a slight curl to it which bounced as she moved.

The cheer team got into their positions and began the routine, featuring lifts and tricks that were all performed with exceptional precision while music blared in the background.

This continued for a good five minutes while students and staff cheered in support until the performance came to a close. The cheerleaders gathered in two lines facing each other beside the podium which lead up from the players' entrance.

A senior member of staff took his place at the podium, "It is my honour to introduce our head cheerleader, Mae Arthurs, and the winner of our Captain's Award, Bryce Walker!" He announced. Cheers erupted as the two students replaced him at the microphone.

"I'm sure we all enjoyed that performance from our Liberty Cheer Squad am I right? Let's give it up for Mae!" Bryce spoke into the microphone while he applauded her. "Thanks Bryce, congratulations!" Mae smiled, receiving another wave of applause. A minute of speaking later and Mae was bidding Bryce farewell and making her way over to the two lines of cheerleaders.

She stood beside Jess, her best friend and member of the cheer team, who looked shaken. "Jess, what's up?" Mae asked worried, trying not to disturb Bryce's speech. "It's Justin, I'm not sure he's gonna show" she admitted, tapping her foot anxiously. "He has no reason not to" Mae smiled, receiving a smile of thanks from Jess. "This is why I love you" she chuckled, Mae joining in.

Bryce began introducing the individual members of the basketball team. After the first member, it was time for Mae to escort Zach Dempsey. The two were quite close and she felt prepared enough to not mess it up.

"ZACH DEMPSEY!" Bryce exclaimed as the crowd cheered. Mae performed back handsprings and a back flip as her finish while Zach ran behind her. They stood together waiting for the next team member to run forward, however that didn't happen.

"JUSTIN FOLEY!" Bryce continued, signalling for Jess to perform her entrance. But there was no Justin. Confusion threaded through the minds of students and staff at the absence of Justin. Bryce spun in circles, his eyes wandering to find Justin but to no avail. Like Jess had feared, he hadn't showed up.

Upset, Jess fled the hall, whipping out her phone and attempting to call her absent boyfriend. She was followed by Clay Jensen, a kind yet geeky boy who was in the majority of Mae's classes. They had always been quite good friends since Clay had been so warm and welcoming to her when she moved to America at the age of nine. Memories and inside jokes were shared between the two of them and she knew that Clay was always there for her. He had been quite affected by Hannah's suicide so Mae was a shoulder to cry on during the first few weeks.

"Have you heard from Justin?" Zach inquired, turning to Mae. She looked up at him, since he was a lot taller, "No I was about to ask you the same thing".
Zach shrugged, "I just assumed you would have since you two are so close" This earned an almost inaudible laugh from Mae, "Are you jealous Zachary?" She teased, swaying side to side mockingly. "Obviously. He should know that you're mine" Zach stated sarcastically, wrapping his arm around her, laughing. "In your dreams Dempsey" she chuckled, sliding out from beneath his arm.

Bryce continued the introductions until the whole basketball team, excluding Justin, were stood together. "Thank you Bryce! That'll be all! See you all back in classes tomorrow! Go Liberty Tigers!" A male member of staff cheered. The students began to file out, a cacophony of voices booming from the hall.

"Mae, wait up a sec!" Zach yelled, dashing after her. She paused her walking and turned to face the tall boy whose dark hair was kept back by his basketball cap. "Yes Zach?" She smiled, hoisting her Liberty High duffle bag onto her shoulder. "You need a lift home?" He asked as he planted his hands into the pockets of his letterman jacket. Mae shook her head sadly, "I'm walking home today but I could do with a lift tomorrow morning". This caused Zach to perk up instantly, "I'll text you when I'm there" he grinned. Mae began to head out of the door, "See you tomorrow Zachary" she laughed, her hair shining in the sun.

Zach stood happily in the hall, quietly smiling until Bryce approached him. "Nice one Dempsey, I never thought you'd be able to. She isn't easy" he teased, prodding Zach's arm with his own. "Shut up, I'm just giving her a lift to school" Zach huffed, making his way out of the hall. Bryce however was on his trail, "You and i both know that you want more. But who can blame you? Her ass is perkier than her personality". Zach sighed and turned to his 'friend', "Unlike you, I'm not after her for her body. She's a lovely girl and I really like her".
He jumped into his car and turned on the engine but Bryce had to have the last word, "Whatever Dempsey, good luck to you"

And with that, Zach drove out of the school car park, leaving Bryce.