17

Sorry this chapter is short, it's kind of a filler chapter until I get to the better stuff. This is kind of just plot and there is a smidge of  Mae and Zach.
Also, thank you for 8000 reads and 200 votes! It means a lot!! 

---

"Oh shit, really?" Jess asked as she switched books from her locker into her bag. Mae had explained to her the incident with Zach's car.

Mae nodded, "Yeah, his mum dragged him to the Jensen's on Saturday to confront Clay"

"Did he do it though?" Jess inquired, shutting her locker and pressing her back against it.

"Yep" She confirmed with a sigh. She used to be really close with Clay until she drifted towards the jocks. His friendship was important to her but soon they were just acquaintances. Speaking of Clay, he was heading in their direction. An overly excited smile was plastered on his face.

"Morning Jessica, morning Mae" he nodded, still grinning. The two girls looked toward each other speculating, then back at Clay.

"Hey Clay" Mae smiled as Jess waved. He nodded one more time before Justin arrived. This cause Clay to leave, but Mae wandered after him.

"Um..Clay!" She hollered, desperate for his attention. The boy stopped and turned to her, shocked that she had followed him. She pulled him to the side of the corridor.

"Can you meet me at Monet's tonight?" She asked hopefully. Luckily, her prayers were answered and he nodded gleefully.

"How's 6:30?"

---

"Good morning, love" Mae kissed Zach's lips softly when she had reached his locker. He smiled lovingly and pushed his locker door shut, "Hello beautiful"

"What's your mum said about the car?" Mae asked, taking his hand in her own and playing with his fingers.

"Nothing. I think she's trying to forget about it" Zach shrugged, "Maybe -" but he was cut off by the PA speaker.

'A special shoutout to Zach Dempsey who crushed it with 28 points' the speaker echoed through the halls. This erupted a fit of happiness from Zach. His goofy smile lightened Mae's day when she turned around to face him.

"Congratulations babe, you were amazing" she grinned, causing Zach to wrap his arms around her. They held her body close and he kissed her deeply.

"I think your kisses are good luck" he smirked.

---

6:28. Mae waited anxiously at a table with her coffee toasting her palms as she held the white cup in her hands. She fiddled with her ring, anxious for Clay to arrive. The minutes seemed like hours while she sipped her drink nervously. At last, Clay entered the cafe, quickly ordered a coffee for himself and approached Mae's table.

"Hey" he greeted, taking a seat and adjusting his bag to lean against the chair leg.

"Thanks for meeting me" Mae half smiled. She sipped her coffee again before setting it back on the table. Her hands however still remained on the cup.

"Why did you ask me to come? What's up?" Clay asked with his drink in his hand also. Mae's mind yearned for a way to phrase the reply politely. But was there a way?

"Why did you key Zach's car?" She asked bluntly. Clay's lips parted and a sigh was released. "Are you interrogating me?" He asked back.

"No, it's just..." she began, but the she hushed her voice, "I'm on the tapes too" she said in a whisper. Clay's face relaxed profusely which made Mae feel a little more comfortable.

"I don't know. I guess seeing him do well after what he did to Hannah, it made me so angry" he shrugged.

"So you keyed his car because he can play basketball?" Mae smirked. Clay shook his head and tried to hide his smile. "Yeah, sounds like it" he nodded. The pair laughed momentarily before Clay dropped a bombshell.

"Why am I on the tapes? What'd I do?" He asked fearfully. Mae's jaw dropped.

"How have you not finished them yet? Zach and I finished them in one night" she said in awe. Her hands were still attached to her cup. "Her voice. She's dead but I'm listening to her speak. It's weird" Clay sighed, "I can't do it for too long"

"Clay, it's okay. Just take how ever much time you need. I know it's hard but you need to listen to them all. And soon" she half smiled.