08

The next day was filled with happiness since the Winter Formal was in the evening and the previous basketball game ended in a successful win.

At her house, Mae sat on her bed, texting Jess

Jess: I'll pick u up at 8:30 xx
Mae: Sounds good, see you then :) x

She shut off her phone and started to prepare for the night ahead. She slipped on her dress which had been hung up on her closet door since she had purchased it. The dress looked as beautiful as it had in the store as Mae stood in front of her mirror.

An hour later, her hair was styled (shown in picture at the top) and her makeup was complete. Her phone dinged from her dresser: Jess was outside. She dashed downstairs and saw her mother and father waiting at the door. "Oh sweetheart you look gorgeous!" Lindsey awed as Mae crossed the hall and walked to them. "She's so grown up" Matt laughed, pulling his daughter into a hug. Mae laughed along, "Jess is here, I've got to go". Her parents hugged her one last time after taking a photo before she exited the house and climbed into Jess' car.

---

"Zach is going to be speechless when he sees you" Jess smirked as they pulled up to the school. As they stepped out of the car, Mae finally got a full look at Jess' dress. It was blue and suited Jess perfectly. "Your dress is so nice, I'm happy you picked that one" Mae smiled as they walked in. "Does it bring out my eyes?" Jess asked, holding her hands beneath her face. Mae laughed, "Definitely"

Zach and Justin stood in the hall waiting for their girlfriends to arrive. "Jess was persistent about making sure we matched" Justin chuckled as the music played. "I wore black and white so we would match anyway" Zach grinned, proud of his act. Justin however wasn't speaking, his eyes were focused on the door. Well not the door, the girls that walked through it. They strode in together, their heals creating noise against the cold floor. Zach turned to look and couldn't believe how good Mae looked. She walked over smiling, happy to see Zach again. "You look...incredible. Amazing. Beautiful. All of the above" He gaped, moving closer to her. She laughed and smiled, "You are by far the most attractive man in this room"
He took her hand and slipped a beautiful flower corsage around her wrist. It featured pastel pink roses and white tulips that adorned her perfectly. Mae picked one of each flower out and placed it into Zach's front pocket so they stuck out. "So people know that you're mine" she smiled, kissing his cheek.

They danced to the music chosen by Tony who stood on the stage behind a station. Around them stood Jess and Justin, Bryce, Marcus, Montgomery and their dates. Mae had never been so happy. She was surrounded by her favourite people, their bodies moving together to whatever tune Tony decided to play. It was perfect until Mae realised that one person was missing, "I'll be back shortly" she smiled to Zach who pecked her lips before nodding. She wandered the hall looking for a head of bleach blond hair. At last, she spotted the boy. "Hey stranger" he greeted with a smile after he noticed her approaching him. "You clearly aren't having fun here" Mae pouted, earning a shake of the head from Alex. "I came alone. That's not exactly fun" he laughed while he fiddled with his sleeve. Mae took his hand and guided him over to their group of friends, "I want you to have fun, come on grumpy" they laughed together as Alex trudged behind her. When their friends noticed Alex, they cheered, "Look who got Standall to socialise!" Justin wooped as everyone continued to dance. Alex rolled his eyes and began to join in, "I'm only here cause I can't say no to her" he admitted, gesturing to Mae who was dancing with Zach.

"Wow, just wow" Mae laughed as Zach started to dance like an idiot. "Sick moves right?" He asked, taking her hands and making her join in with him. She hesitantly agreed, twisting with him to the music. Until Tony decided to play a slow song. Zach placed his hands on her waist, allowing Mae to wrap her hands around his neck. "You actually look like an angel" Zach spoke quietly, the room falling silent due to the music. "You should wear suits more often" Mae whispered back, her fingers playing with his hair. They moved closer to each other, their bodies now touching all over. Zach pulled her into a kiss, Mae happily kissing back. His tongue slid across her bottom lip asking for entrance which she allowed. Their tongues fought for dominance, Zach eventually winning. They stood and continued to make out for the remainder of the song, their foreheads resting against each other as they regained their breaths. "You kiss like a god" Mae laughed, her lips now slightly swollen. Zach smirked, "I couldn't do what I do without your help"

---

Zach had offered Mae a lift home since Jess was too drunk to drive and Justin had to take her home. They hopped into his Audi, their hands attached still. The car revved and they began the journey to Mae's house. "Promise me one thing" Mae said, playing with Zach's fingers. "What?" He asked, taking his eyes off the road for a second to look at her. "That you won't do anything stupid" she shrugged, earning a perplexed expression from Zach. "I mean, something stupid that'll make me upset. And I'll promise you the same thing" she added. He rubbed his thumb across her hand, "I would never dream of it" he smiled as they pulled up outside Mae's house.

He helped her out of the car, holding her hand tightly as they walked to her door. "Thank you, for the best night of my life" Zach smirked, embracing her in a hug. "It was my pleasure" she smiled, kissing his cheek, "See you Monday" he waved as she stepped inside her house. She had never been in such a good mood as she removed the corsage from her wrist and carried it to her room.

Thank you for 300 reads! I woke up this morning and had a bunch of notifications from Wattpad. Thank you so much!