TREIZE

The wall was built, and it was standing more steadily than Cass had anticipated

The wall was built, and it was standing more steadily than Cass had anticipated. It would've been celebratory worthy, if not for finding Wells' dead body in the woods. She found his body when she took Clarke to go watch the sunrise, it was a sight she would never forget. Clarke had been at Wells' makeshift grave since he was buried, and Cass had taken it upon herself to keep an eye out for the blonde.

She hasn't taken his death very well, and it broke Cass. Seeing Finn walked over made the brunette let out a sigh of relief, for she began walking away as he approached Clarke. "Cass!" Turning her head, she noticed Rowan and Adrianna approaching her. "Hey, you okay?"

That was a question she didn't know how to answer, was she okay? Her chest ached as she looked at the graves, and she felt utterly broken each time she thought of those who had passed. "I don't know," she admitted, looking back at her friends, "I really don't know."

----------

"Yes, I did it!" Monty cheered, Cass noticing the quietness of his voice. Probably because Jasper was asleep on the level above them, "it's still operational."

Cass pumped her fist in the air, smiling happily. She followed Monty to his work station, watching him carefully work on the wristband. "So, you're going to make this," she points to the wristband, "into part of a radio?"

"That seems to be the plan," Monty says, looking through the inside of the drop ship, "not if I can't put it through the drop ship's mainframe." He says suddenly. At first, Cass was confused, then she realized he was eavesdropping on Clarke and Finn's conversation. "I can do it. We can talk to the Ark by nightfall."

Cass watched Clarke nod in approval before looking up at Finn, leaving the drop ship with him in her tail. The two were left in silence, Cass handing Monty and parts that he needs and the two just exchanging a few occasional jokes. "So," Monty says suddenly, "you and Bellamy?"

She looked up at him, laughing a bit at his question. "What? Me and Bellamy? No," she immediately denied, shaking her head, "we're just...friends."

Monty replied with a scoff, his eyes never leaving the wristband or the parts of the ship. "Friends my ass," he states, "I see the way you look at each other, Cass. Him calling you Cassie, the little hand holdings, did I mention the stares?"

"So friends aren't allowed to have nicknames or hold hands?" She asks, furrowing her eyebrows at him before crossing her arms over her chest.

He replied with a shrug. "Never said that," he argued. "Also, I find it funny how you totally abandoned the stares when asking me that."

Cass inhaled sharply, leaning against the drop ship with her eyes trained to the floor. Did what Monty said make sense? Sure, around him she felt comfortable, like she could be herself and not worry about the consequences, but then again, she also felt a little nervous when talking to him. Surely it couldn't be because she liked him.

-----------

Things have changed: Wells death isn't considered to be a murder by Grounders anymore, but one of their own. Cass stood by Bellamy as she watched Clarke pick up Murphy's knife, examining it closely. Jasper and Octavia had found two of Wells's fingers from outside of the wall, and she was just glad that she was inside with Monty.

"This knife was made from the metal from the drop ship." Clarke ruled out, everyone's eyes forming into some kind of shock.

Jasper looked up at Clarke, Cass easily seeing the fear in his eyes. "What does that mean?" He asks.

Cass felt Bellamy shift beside her, his voice low. "Who else knows about this?" He asks.

"No one," Octavia answers almost immediately, "we brought it straight here."

"Clarke," Jasper choked out, Cass noting that his eyes hasn't left the girl since he asked his question.

Cass feared the answer that she felt Clarke was going to give, and she didn't want to believe it. "It means that the Grounders didn't kill Wells," she answered, just as Cass had feared, "it was one of us."

Cass looked around, Jasper was almost shaking in fear, Clarke and Octavia were just in a state of shock, and Bellamy was just standing still, his arms crossed over his chest and his jaw tight. "So there's a murdered in the camp?" Jasper manages to say.

"Yeah, well, there's more than one murderer in this camp," Bellamy says, Cass hitting his bicep with her fist closed tightly before the two shared a look, her eyes going back to Clarke and the others before going back to Bellamy as he began speaking again. "This is news, we need to keep it quiet."

"Right, because we all know how the camp will react to finding out that someone had killed the Chancellor's son," Cass says, "they won't care that Wells had been killed, they'll only care because they don't want to be killed next."

The tent was silence after her words, everyone either looking around or trying to find something to look at before Clarke began making her way towards the entrance to the tent, only to be stopped by both Bellamy and Cass. "Get out of my way." She growls.

"What happened to keeping quiet?" Cass asks.

She looks over at Bellamy as he gives her a face that said "be quiet", his eyes going back to Clarke. "Be smart about this," he warns, "look at all we've achieved: the wall, the patrols. Like it or not, thinking the Grounders killed Wells is good for us."

Clarke rolled her eyes dramatically at his words, Cass doing the same. "Oh, good for you, you mean," she snaps, "what? Keep people afraid and they'll work for you? Is that it?"

"Yeah, that's it," he snaps, his voice more quieter, "and it's good for all of us. Fear of the Grounders is building that wall."

All Clarke could reply with was shaking her head, Cass wanting to do the same. "History is repeating itself." She exhales, moving away from Bellamy's side as she looked at the two.

"And besides," Bellamy continues, "what are you going to do? Just walk out there and ask the killer to step forward? You don't even know who's knife it is."

"Oh really?" Clarke challenges, the two looking at each other with such intensity that Cass almost wanted to step out before they exploded, but then Clarke held the knife up towards Bellamy. "J.M, John Murphy. The people, have a right to know."

She stomped her way past Bellamy, and he didn't try to stop her this time.